Barney the 97 XJ going to tons

xjmarc

I'll go first. Got tired of breaking axles (even tried alloys) so I'm stepping up to tons. It's a 97 XJ 4.0, auto and 231 with a Novak shifter. Going to stay with my 35 MTZs for now. Stretching the wheelbase to 103" Got a before and as it sits pic.

Attachments

• Aetna 8-1 9.JPG
    Aetna 8-1 9.JPG
    781.1 KB · Views: 1,537
  • Barney 1.JPG
    Barney 1.JPG
    1,011.2 KB · Views: 3,203

103? what the stock WB on those? Show us what you gotta tweek and a hammer on to make it fit. Looks like you got the tear down about there.

Stock WB is 101" but I moved the front and rear and inch each. The rear to center it and the front for more wheel well clearance. These things don't like 31s much less 35s and it's getting 37s when I get more funds.

Here is where it sits today.

Attachments

• Barney 2.JPG
    Barney 2.JPG
    569.7 KB · Views: 351
  • Barney 6.JPG
    Barney 6.JPG
    598 KB · Views: 244
  • Barney 3.JPG
    Barney 3.JPG
    595.4 KB · Views: 301
  • Barney 5.JPG
    Barney 5.JPG
    567 KB · Views: 318
  • Barney 4.JPG
    Barney 4.JPG
    801.6 KB · Views: 341

Nice, love to see them without axles. The tons will dwarf those 35"s.

I'm just hoping I can make a trip without breaking a shaft. And the 35s are till I come up with the coin for 37-38s.

Nice, love to see them without axles. The tons will dwarf those 35"s.

hell ya they will. we put tons (78 D60 & 14 bolt) into a friends MJ, previously with a D44 and 34" special service swapmers, he had more ground clearence then the current 14 bolt, trimmed not shaved, and 38" toyo's

Question, are you retaining the rear drums and if so why? you could piece together a disc set up for the rear for about $120 complete?

Disc are coming soon just trying to get it on the trail for now. Already got the brackets just gotta come up with rotors and calipers. Also plan on weld on beadlocks for those whities.

Played in the backyard a few minutes before it got dark. Taking it to Mountainside OHV in AL this weekend to see what I screwed up and what breaks.:lol: Here is where it sits for now.

Attachments

• Barney 7.JPG
    Barney 7.JPG
    989.2 KB · Views: 1,816
  • barney 8.JPG
    barney 8.JPG
    977.3 KB · Views: 604
  • barney 9.JPG
    barney 9.JPG
    603.4 KB · Views: 342
A few specs: Wheelbase is now 104" 2" in front and 1" rear stretch
Track width front 82 rear 79.5 (getting spacers soon)
Detroit front and Hobart locker rear (cause I don't have a Lincoln)

Unless clearence is an issue, I would suggest leaving the rear narrower. My local club had this discussion on our board, our results are that the narrower rear will aid in turning. we acutally had two TJ, similar builds, same WB both with 60/14 set up with the narrow rear, one with the spacers on the rear, the one with the narrow rear could cut a tighter turn on pavement than the one with spacers.

First trip out and all was going well till I ripped off a control arm mount. I like the extra width and piece of mind of the new axles. Here is one of the few shots we got of it. Still a long way from done.

Attachments

• MSORP.jpg
    MSORP.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 636
How about an up-dated follow up?
Looks great, just want some more pics and details, like gear ratio, did the rear axle perches require relocation....lil stuff like that, please.:)

It's been done, redone and redone a few time since. Ended up using a 44 front because it was cheap and a buddy had some chromos I got for cheap. I've broken a front shaft and I'm building a 60 to replace the 44. I did have to move perches and i's riding on 38s now. 4.56s welded rear and locked front. I had forgotten about this thread.

It's been done, redone and redone a few time since. Ended up using a 44 front because it was cheap and a buddy had some chromos I got for cheap. I've broken a front shaft and I'm building a 60 to replace the 44. I did have to move perches and i's riding on 38s now. 4.56s welded rear and locked front. I had forgotten about this thread.
Interesting, you say you're using a 44 now. I just got a lead on an M880 Dodge(military 1&1/4 ton) front axle. which is a constant Dana 44 with 4.09 gears. I'd still like a 60, but the price is right, I already have 4.10's in my 14 bolt rear. And I was thinking of Lincolnizing the rear, and lock-riting the front.
You sorta made my mind for me, think I'll get the 44 today...:D

PS, would like to see some installed pics on that front axle, if it ain't too much trouble.

Back