"B" My 1954 WILLYS CJ3B BUILD . . .

HiHood

This is a pictorial view of "B"'s come back after she was chopped and modified and left to return to the earth as a pile of rust. She is an early 1954 and began life as (speculation) a military Jeep. Later sold to civilian use.
Her mods were a Ford 302 V8, and Saginaw steering box. She Had her front grill extended fore about 3" when I got her, and the 302 was gone.

This is a SEMI-resto build. There was too many mods to allow a full resto with the retirement budget I am on. But she will once again sport a F134 I4 that Kaiser Willys raised her hood for in 1953 on this CJ model.

Attachments

• Jeeps 004.jpg
    Jeeps 004.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 1,170
  • Jeeps 005.jpg
    Jeeps 005.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 4,439
  • Willys 009.jpg
    Willys 009.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 458
  • gas tank 005.jpg
    gas tank 005.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 674
  • 3B disassembly 002.jpg
    3B disassembly 002.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 389
  • 3B disassembly 009.jpg
    3B disassembly 009.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 261
  • Jeeps 003.jpg
    Jeeps 003.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 13,539

I got discouraged at some points . . .

Attachments

• Das Fendersmashen es Kaput 001.jpg
    Das Fendersmashen es Kaput 001.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 506
  • Das Fendersmashen es Kaput 002.jpg
    Das Fendersmashen es Kaput 002.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,525
  • Das Fendersmashen es Kaput 003.jpg
    Das Fendersmashen es Kaput 003.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 368
Fenders, floor, cowl it all was a mess.

Attachments

• FLOOR 017.JPG
    FLOOR 017.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 517
  • 3B Disassembly II 009.JPG
    3B Disassembly II 009.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 248
  • Fender repairs 007.jpg
    Fender repairs 007.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 323
  • 3B Disassembly II 023.jpg
    3B Disassembly II 023.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 330
  • 3B Disassembly II 016.JPG
    3B Disassembly II 016.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 253
  • Cowl hinge weld 003.jpg
    Cowl hinge weld 003.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 253

That's a nice little 3B , John, put up a thread and PM me what you want for that old half top you got there.:shock:

More . . .

Attachments

• IMG_8859.JPG
    IMG_8859.JPG
    491.5 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_8856.JPG
    IMG_8856.JPG
    265.6 KB · Views: 325
  • hood fit w-bolts 006.JPG
    hood fit w-bolts 006.JPG
    287.1 KB · Views: 2,003
  • hood fit w-bolts 005.JPG
    hood fit w-bolts 005.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 570
Then the wheels . . . and now, I have hit an obsticle that I am working on. The re-routed steering column has to be re-re-routed to accommedate the stock motor mounts & motor mount brackets.

Attachments

• wheels after paint 003.JPG
    wheels after paint 003.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 299
  • nothing day 001.JPG
    nothing day 001.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 265
  • nothing day 002.JPG
    nothing day 002.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 219
  • nothing day 003.JPG
    nothing day 003.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 216

I sold that top 4 years ago got $900. for it just couldnt refuse

theres one sitting in a yard around the block from me Ill ask if he would sell let you know try to get it on the cheap since he no got a jeep

theres one sitting in a yard around the block from me Ill ask if he would sell let you know try to get it on the cheap since he no got a jeep

That's alright, too hot here anyways . . . it'll be a fall to springer without AC.

Looks like you are performing miracles on that thing. I'd love to find a flatty but they are worth more than gold around here and I'm just a poor boy.

if you find you a flatie you can join the poor boy club 5+ years and still not done lol but worth every penny

I took my tub back off the chassis last night and went to install the crossmember that holds the transmission/TC and couldn't get the old TC mount off (lol), I sent it in to be medium blasted to see what's up with that. My son should be able to blast that at his lunch break today. I need to install the Transmission/TC and set the tub back on to see if I need to chop anymore for the Overdrive lever.

Looks like you are performing miracles on that thing. I'd love to find a flatty but they are worth more than gold around here and I'm just a poor boy.

Thanks, Yeah I'm on a poor boy, barely gots nuff ta feeds my budha belly, begging for a nickle budget too. That's why old B ain't sporting a new tub & fenders.:cry:

. . . .a few minor obsticles are being worked out. maybe a bigger hammer and some choice pomeranian swear words :scratch:

Attachments

• Steering & shifters on B 014.JPG
    Steering & shifters on B 014.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 2,157
  • Steering & shifters on B 007.JPG
    Steering & shifters on B 007.JPG
    292.6 KB · Views: 993
  • mount nitemare 006.JPG
    mount nitemare 006.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 279

hood,,,,
you may want to put a joint on that shaft off the bottom of the colum so it goes under neat the motor mount Ill try to get pict tomorow so you see what Im talking about

Last edited:
Yes, as you know the original came stright down to the box and ran along the chassis. I was thinking to run the shaft under the mount along the frame to about the same position of the stock box location, then knuckle and come up through the floor about the same path as stock. Instead of a steering box and the bottom of the column, it would have a knucle that would be supported by carrier bearings to the Saginaw box. Make sense?
:???:

The transmission inspection plate is not a prob as I still need the rubber mount pads and I have a couple spacers (half inch, three quarters) to put in the crossmember of the transmission.

I used a shaft I found in my scrap pile that already had the joints I had from one of my wifes mail jeeps May have another floating around somewhere
what kind of truck you get your box out of the one I got out of the chevy 1.5 ton is to big In my opinion takes to much rail space on frame also weighs a ton

I'm not sure what vehicle the PO took the saginaw from. It has 3/4 rodstock (cr steel) and I would continue with that. I can put the splices inside the tube on the inside and hide them there and splice at the knuckles below. I can get the rod cheaply and go from their. The carrier brgs are cheap also. I already have one, so would only need one more, if any. I believe the main problem would be too much of an angle on the knuckle and causing bindage but I believe the route I'm taking is OK for that. Another issue would be exhaust route but I'll work through it all eventually. I'm "hoping" to light this off and roll out this spring

Last edited:
Back