Finishing what I started (55 Willys truck)

OK...back on track. Got the brake booster, master cylinder, hydraulic clutch master, and brake/clutch pedals worked out this weekend. Kind of a pain fabbing it all into a vehicle that had no provisions for it to start with. The rolling doghouse turned into pain for clearances, but made for plenty of room to work. All I've got left for the set-up is to fab a bracket for the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder. Should be cake compared to the rest. I will shoot a few pics when the system is complete. Later

Gawd I'm jealous. I'd love to come across one of those to work on even if it was a rust bucket.

OK people, BIG question. Apparently when I was 16, I didn't know that there was such thing as a double flare on a break line. I only knew of single flares. QUESTION: On the existing fittings I had already installed, I obviously used a single flare, now that I know such thing as a double exists, is all my previous work "scrap"?? I have read (if it is correct) that a single flare does in fact work, but is more prone to cracking. Is this true? Do I need to re-do what I've already done? Will a single flare work, but is not the best? Give me some opinions please.

If its just a trail rig, I'd leave it. But if you intend to drive it on the street I'd repair them.

Yeah...got to thinking about it..... a couple of hours of my time and a few $$. It was not worth my life, other peoples lives, and my rig. So If the rain holds out this weekend, I'm gonna re-flare all the fittings, and finish up the new ones. This all is assuming that the Holley rebuild goes well. I tore it apart tonight, and was amazed at how simple they are. Basically clean it, re-assemble, and tune. NEW carb. = $400...Re-Build = $27.50. I'll try it myself. Later

Ok...the Holley carb rebuild went well. I couldn't believe how simple it was. So now she starts right up without the use of a cup-o-gas, and revs. up right. I didn't thrash on it though. I want to get the exhaust done (only shorty headers now) so I can hear the motor itself. I want to make sure I'm not getting any odd noises out of it, and the rings have a little more time to seat back in. Brakes lines to finish in the next week if time permits, and then exhaust. Any thoughts of mufflers that sound throaty but yet not obnoxiously loud? Im thinking FlowMasters maybe.

Pictures!!
Okay, everything installed for the Brake booster and Hydraulic clutch. I now have brakes, better than it has had in 55 years. Gone away is the old stock setup with the pedals through the floor. I'll I've got left for this part is to get the hydraulic clutch system bled out. Tried it once, but it is turning out to be a PITA. Maybe this week end. Then onto exhaust so I can actualy hear the motor itself. It's only got about an hour of run time since I've got it home, and I want to be able to hear for any "ticks" or (hopefully not) "cluncks" before I test drive it. Open headers are not quite allowing that nowAny...here's the pics. Sorry it's a link:

http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/ac168/bobcat481/Brakes%20and%20hydraulic%20Clutch/Brad

P.S. In the run of all this, I went to Earl's in Indianapolis for the flex lines. I bought 2 30" lines and 2 23" lines. They are ANN lines rated at 4000 psi burst and 2000 psi running pressure. Got the 4 lines and fittings to adapt over for $75. Lines were made right there on the spot, took about 15 minutes. I thought this was the cat's ass. I told him I was gonna change over to disc later, and he said bring the lines back in, and tell me what banjo fittings I needed and he would rework the end of the line for the cost of the fittings. Check them out, they've got a free catalogue (sp?). Later http://www.earlsindy.com/

Ok, I'm "laid-off" right the moment, so work on the truck seems right. I traded some "labor" with a guy. I wired his new paint booth, and he's gonna finish/paint the body for me. Seeing that I have time one my side now, I'm gonna finish the electrical on the truck, then send it off to him to finish the body. It's nothing I can't do, but it's "a professional trade for a professional trade"....know what I mean? After that, it's windows, exhaust, and tuning. I'm actually ready for all this to come to a head. It's been 14 yrs. so.............

P.s. Found a dude that can repalce the windows for about $70 a pop......seals and all. Windows (bronze, I'm thinking) will cost me about $500. :D

Give me a couple of weeks and it should have windows and paint. I need a vacation anyway. 14 yrs. and I've had 3 weeks off during that time, so it won't hurt any.....as long it don't drag out too long. We've got work, it just a matter of waiting for the the contracts to be released. It's working out good with the weather and timing for the truck, so I'll roll with it, for awhile at least....then I migh have to find another Heap to start on.....just gotta be a cheap one though!

Back