Diesel powered tj

stinkfist

my build

Attachments

• 2010-09-17_19-23-19_452-1.jpg
    2010-09-17_19-23-19_452-1.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 1,600

Welcome to the Z, that's a sweet looking Jeep. Can you tell us more about your motor swap?

thanks. sure, what do you want to know?

Attachments

• rsz_rsz_12010-09-17_19-05-58_494.jpg
    rsz_rsz_12010-09-17_19-05-58_494.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 815
Last edited:
Everything. I know a guy with a 4BT powered YJ and that thing will pull stumps out of the ground. We are all about the details here.

it was a fun build and is a great dd. here are some more pics

Attachments

• rsz_rsz_22010-09-17_19-04-30_787.jpg
    rsz_rsz_22010-09-17_19-04-30_787.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 761
  • rsz_rsz_2010-09-17_19-04-44_357.jpg
    rsz_rsz_2010-09-17_19-04-44_357.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,198
  • rsz_2010-09-17_19-02-42_279.jpg
    rsz_2010-09-17_19-02-42_279.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 763

Looks like a 4bt. Did you go with A.A. to get it matched to the AX15? Tell us ALL you can..........

What axles are you running in your set up? I do not think the d35 nor the d30 would beable to handle the 4bt's torque. What gearing, tire size, etc are you running? RPM at highway speeds (70ish)? Have you changes out the fuel pin or the valve springs to run a higher rpm?

Noticed in one of your pictures, the engine was clocked a couple degrees to the passanger side. Is that the same degree/clocking from your donor truck?

Lastly, I am looking into doing the same kind of swap but with a NV4500. How long did your build take and did you do it all yourself?

Great looking Jeep!

Bacon

My OBM saw the pictures just now, and got a big grin on his face, he wants to build a diesel powered rig.

I guess that when they/we/I are asking for info, what we are saying is that a write up would be spectacular.
Unless you want to keep it a secret for fear of copy cats. If that's the case, just say so.

A nice detailed outline of what parts you used, how you went about the conversion and install, what modifications you had to make, wiring, cooling, resources for parts. Info on anything and everything that you can tell about it would be fantastic. It would take some time but would be an amazing source of information for those of us who are planning on a similar project.

My Jeep should be paid off in about a year, I expect that OBM will begin his build about then. He's thinking a diesel powered YJ. He's a retired heavy equipment mechanic. Diesel is what he does, so it should be interesting to watch him combine the thing he loves (diesel) with the thing he hates (automotive) I expect to see many bouts of turrets syndrome up in the shop.

Awsome!! That's a lot of iron to stuff into a TJ. You even got an intercooler into it. I like the dash. This must be off road only - or you don't need to pass emissions where you are. I bet you get great MPG. Yeah, what axles ARE you running? I would think the 4BT can easily grenade the stockers. Great job!! -John

I would like to know about any state inspection and what you did for it?

I am in Mass, and am looking to put a 12 valve 6bt into a 98 GMC with ODB2.. have a ***** of a time trying to figure out how..

What axles are you running in your set up? I do not think the d35 nor the d30 would beable to handle the 4bt's torque. What gearing, tire size, etc are you running? RPM at highway speeds (70ish)? Have you changes out the fuel pin or the valve springs to run a higher rpm?

Noticed in one of your pictures, the engine was clocked a couple degrees to the passanger side. Is that the same degree/clocking from your donor truck?

Lastly, I am looking into doing the same kind of swap but with a NV4500. How long did your build take and did you do it all yourself?

Great looking Jeep!

Bacon
as of now im running stock axles and theyve held up well with my driving. im running 3.07 gears in mine and seems really good. my tires are 33s and at 70 mph my rpms are around 1700-1800. yeah its the typical 8* tilt engine adapter found in all of those donor trucks, i took as much of the tilt out as i could when i built my mounts, you can buy a engine adapter that has no tilt for about 1200. yes i done all of the swap myself and it took about 7 wkds off n on to do it. but its been worth it

My OBM saw the pictures just now, and got a big grin on his face, he wants to build a diesel powered rig.

I guess that when they/we/I are asking for info, what we are saying is that a write up would be spectacular.
Unless you want to keep it a secret for fear of copy cats. If that's the case, just say so.

A nice detailed outline of what parts you used, how you went about the conversion and install, what modifications you had to make, wiring, cooling, resources for parts. Info on anything and everything that you can tell about it would be fantastic. It would take some time but would be an amazing source of information for those of us who are planning on a similar project.

My Jeep should be paid off in about a year, I expect that OBM will begin his build about then. He's thinking a diesel powered YJ. He's a retired heavy equipment mechanic. Diesel is what he does, so it should be interesting to watch him combine the thing he loves (diesel) with the thing he hates (automotive) I expect to see many bouts of turrets syndrome up in the shop.
thats not a problem, i will help you with anything you want to know. tell him to get a bottle of crown royal to start with......it seems to help:)

I would like to know about any state inspection and what you did for it?

I am in Mass, and am looking to put a 12 valve 6bt into a 98 GMC with ODB2.. have a ***** of a time trying to figure out how..
indiana doesnt have state inspection. that would be a nice build

Awsome!! That's a lot of iron to stuff into a TJ. You even got an intercooler into it. I like the dash. This must be off road only - or you don't need to pass emissions where you are. I bet you get great MPG. Yeah, what axles ARE you running? I would think the 4BT can easily grenade the stockers. Great job!! -John
hey thanks. no off-roading yet, so far its pretty much a pavement princess:D yeah the 4bt could make a mess of the stock axles

Back