Jason4x4's 2006 TJ project

Jason4x4

So as things currently stand, I am now in possession of all the parts I need for "Phase I" of my project (i.e. the suspension phase. Phase II (Axles/lockers) to follow hopefully sometime next year).

Here's a list of all the parts that are getting ready to go on the Jeep:

- 4" Skyjacker springs/Hydro shocks (may swap out the shocks if they suck too much).
- Rough Country X-Flex adjustable control arms upper and lower, front and rear
- Rough Country adjustable front track bar
- JKS adjustable rear track bar
- JKS quicker sway bar disconnects
- JKS 1.25" body lift
- JKS 1" riser motor mounts
- PORC SYE kit
- UCF extra clearance belly pan

The track bars/control arms and belly pan are in the process of being powdercoated, not sure yet when they'll be done. The current plan is to tackle the springs/shocks/control arms and body/motor mount lift myself with some help from a couple friends. Then, we'll probably take it to the shop for the SYE/belly pan install as none of the people helping feel very comfortable tearing the transfer case apart at this time. It's gotta go to the shop for an alignment anyway, and we're not sure how long it's going to take us to get the rest of the stuff done anyway. We're kinda hoping to be able to pull it off in a couple weekends, but I don't know if that's being too ambitious or not. I guess we'll find out. Another potential issue is I would like to figure out a way to make my Rusty's transmission/oil pan skid work with the new belly pan, but I dont know how complicated that would be. The guys that are helping me are good at fabricating stuff so I'm sure we could do it, it would just be a matter of time. Hopefully this will be complete before Thanksgiving, so I'll be sure to post updates and pictures as the work progresses (and questions when things start to go wrong ;) ).

Re: Quick Update on my TJ project

Got the parts back from the powdercoat guy. Everything is done except for the belly pan. We fabbed it up yesterday with the Rusty's oil pan/transmission skid and it looks like it's going to be a relatively easy fit. Hopefully he'll be able to finish the belly pan this week (it has to be sandblasted because they shipped it by just sticking adhesive shipping labels on it instead of putting it in a box). It will be the same red as the rest of the parts. Here's what the rest of the suspension looks like - Skyjacker springs, Rough Country x-flex control arms, Rough Country adj. front trackbar, and JKS adj. rear trackbar (the brackets are for the trackbars). Only things that didn't make it into the picture besides the belly pan and misc. hardware are the heim joints for the track bars, Currie motor mounts, JKS 1.25" body lift, Skyjacker shocks, and the PORC SYE kit.

By the way, the powdercoating cost a total of $400 - $200 for sandblasting/prep and $200 for the actual powdercoating. This doesn't include the belly pan, which he said would be less than $100.

Attachments

• SAM_0132.JPG
    SAM_0132.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 347
  • SAM_0133.JPG
    SAM_0133.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 323
  • SAM_0134.JPG
    SAM_0134.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 315
  • SAM_0135.JPG
    SAM_0135.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 323
  • SAM_0131.JPG
    SAM_0131.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 336

Mods want to move this to the 'build' forum?

Got the belly pan back tonight. Everything's ready to go. We're set to start work on Wednesday. Here's a few shots of the UCF belly pan with powder on it, and everything else piled up ready to go to the garage. I'll update this thread hopefully with lots of pictures as things progress throughout the week.

Attachments

• SAM_0147.JPG
    SAM_0147.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 308
  • SAM_0151.JPG
    SAM_0151.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 317
  • SAM_0149.JPG
    SAM_0149.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 309
  • SAM_0148.JPG
    SAM_0148.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 342

Sorry, no pictures yet. Just a quick note. Sorry it's taken so long to update, I've been busy.

Anyway, things are progressing nicely. Shocks/springs/control arms/track bars are all done. Did run into a few issues. Mainly, I didn't realize I was going to have to completely remove the rocker guards completely in order to install the body lift, so that took a lot more time than expected. Also, I found out that my transmission mount was shot, so that had to be replaced as well. Other than that, no major issues. I was hoping to be basically wrapped up today, but it looks like it'll be around Monday before I can get the alignment and have everything ready to go.

Thanks for the updates. Any before pics?

Yes, I'll post some "before" pics shortly. Also, decided this morning that it would probably be a good idea to put in extended brake lines as it was pretty close at full extension with the stock lines and the swaybar disconnected. Also the original Skyjacker kit I bought came with extended rear bump stops but nothing for the front so I'm going to get some longer bump stops for the front to be safe. More updates to come...

I believe the factory called it "Midnight Blue". Here are the "before" pictures taken this past Monday. I might be able to get you guys a quick update picture or two tomorrow.

Attachments

• SAM_0168.jpg
    SAM_0168.jpg
    937.9 KB · Views: 293
  • SAM_0166.jpg
    SAM_0166.jpg
    718.1 KB · Views: 309
  • SAM_0167.jpg
    SAM_0167.jpg
    930 KB · Views: 313
  • SAM_0161.jpg
    SAM_0161.jpg
    872.4 KB · Views: 317
  • SAM_0169.jpg
    SAM_0169.jpg
    835 KB · Views: 334

That red is looking good.

Thanks. I hope those control arms perform as good as they look. 8)

Anyway, more delays. Everything is basically done and back together but it didn't get done with enough time to get the alignment done today. Should be 100% complete tomorrow.

Ok, Phase I is now complete. Everything's dialed in and the alignment is done. Just got home. Unfortunately it's pouring the rain and dark so I won't be able to get any pictures until tomorrow. It looks really good though. The only problem is there is now no way my wife is going to be able to get into the Jeep so I'm going to have to fab up some kind of steps. Any ideas? 8)

Here you go...quick batch of photos taken this morning before I left for work. Sorry they're not that great, I'll try to get some better pictures later.

I need bigger tires now...

Attachments

• SAM_0172.jpg
    SAM_0172.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 278
  • SAM_0173.JPG
    SAM_0173.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 291
  • SAM_0174.JPG
    SAM_0174.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 285
  • SAM_0176.JPG
    SAM_0176.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 268
  • SAM_0177.JPG
    SAM_0177.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 286
  • SAM_0178.JPG
    SAM_0178.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 262
  • SAM_0179.JPG
    SAM_0179.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 227
  • SAM_0180.JPG
    SAM_0180.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 281

Nice looking jeep,but I dont like the red on it,just dosent seem to go with it in my opinion.Or maybe the red is ok and the black is the thing I dont like.

Nice looking jeep,but I dont like the red on it,just dosent seem to go with it in my opinion.Or maybe the red is ok and the black is the thing I dont like.

Thanks. I like the red, but you're entitled to your opinion. Once I get it nice and muddy you won't be able to notice it as much anyway ;).

That looks good, where are you from? I have thought about powder coating some of my belly panels, skid plates etc?

Sorry for sounding ignorant,but what exactly is powder coating?

Sorry for sounding ignorant,but what exactly is powder coating?

It's somewhat similar to paint except that it's much, much more durable. It serves the same purpose (i.e. covering and protecting metal surfaces to prevent rust) but the way it is applied is much different. It's called "powder coat" because it actually starts with a powder that is basically bonded to the metal and then baked to produce a strong finish.

For example, if you spray painted your springs it would probably flake off after, oh say a couple months if you're lucky. Powdercoat will stay on and look good for years and years. That's not to say that you can't damage the powdercoat by scraping on rocks and the like, but it will hold up much better than paint. I hope I did a good enough job explaining this :).

Looks Really Good! I'd slap some 35's on there when money allowed. :D Thanks for all the build pics! Keep us updated.

Oh and you could probably build you a nerf bar/rock slider as a set of steps for the lady. Somthing simple, yet effective. Keep up the good work!

Back