1981 cj7 restore project

CJDan

I bought this 1981 cj7 for $900 and i am restoring/rebuilding some stuff but trying to keep original motor/transmission and i want to try and keep as much stuff as original as possible, i am mostly replacing the beat up parts, but this jeep is being used for joy riding not for Mud bogging. Here is the progress so far. I am welding the back of the frame to repair it, that is the worst part of it, the rest of the frame had oil over it and it some of it was like brand new when i cleaned it all of but some had some surface rust but was still in solid condition, so i repainted it with flat black and i am going to undercoat it from further damage. and i am replacing all gas/fuel lines and i put a new tank in it with all new accessories with it. I am also replacing the whole body as you can see, and as i get toward the end of this project i am replacing all the little stuff like spark plug wires all hoses under the hood a new alternator and so on.

Attachments

• majeep.jpg
    majeep.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 505
  • zjeep.jpg
    zjeep.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 345
  • majeeep3.jpg
    majeeep3.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 352
  • majeep2.jpg
    majeep2.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 395
  • myjeep.jpg
    myjeep.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 619
  • zjeep2.jpg
    zjeep2.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 378
Last edited by a moderator:

Looks like you knees deep into it. are you just going to source a new tub or rebuild the one you had? if you can, a YJ tub will pretty much swap on, just need to move two body mounts on the frame, not all that hard since the body is missing.

oh, and I attached your pics

Attachments

• zjeep.jpg
    zjeep.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 393
  • majeeep3.jpg
    majeeep3.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 671
  • myjeep.jpg
    myjeep.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 434
  • majeep.jpg
    majeep.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 432
  • majeep2.jpg
    majeep2.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 409
  • zjeep2.jpg
    zjeep2.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 2,954
Looks like you got a good start on a big project...keep at it & before you know it you'll be driving a fine CJ:MDB2:

just got the tub, and ready to paint the firewall today, then mounting it to the frame, and then sanding down everything, priming it and painting the rest by this weekend, and hopefully get it started very soon

I bought this 1981 cj7 for $900 and i am restoring/rebuilding some stuff but trying to keep original motor/transmission and i want to try and keep as much stuff as original as possible, i am mostly replacing the beat up parts, but this jeep is being used for joy riding not for Mud bogging. Here is the progress so far. I am welding the back of the frame to repair it, that is the worst part of it, the rest of the frame had oil over it and it some of it was like brand new when i cleaned it all of but some had some surface rust but was still in solid condition, so i repainted it with flat black and i am going to undercoat it from further damage. and i am replacing all gas/fuel lines and i put a new tank in it with all new accessories with it. I am also replacing the whole body as you can see, and as i get toward the end of this project i am replacing all the little stuff like spark plug wires all hoses under the hood a new alternator and so on.

jeep jeep.jpg

majeep2.jpg

Attachments

• jeep2jeep.jpg
    jeep2jeep.jpg
    505.8 KB · Views: 2,678
  • majeep.jpg
    majeep.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 322
  • myjeep.jpg
    myjeep.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 533

Got new pictures of the jeep painted

Attachments

• 02090120091.jpg
    02090120091.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 622
CJDan - if you have any problems uploading photos, you can just email them to me at webmaster at jeepz

New pics of jeep painted up

Attachments

• 0217011904.jpg
    0217011904.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 1,043
  • 7488.jpg
    7488.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 434
  • 7489.jpg
    7489.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 415
  • 7490.jpg
    7490.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 343
  • 7492.jpg
    7492.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 298

new jeep pics

Attachments

• 7493.jpg
    7493.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 5,924

Jeep is complete.

Attachments

• PART_1304773969306 (4).jpg
    PART_1304773969306 (4).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,541
That looks really nice!!. You wouldn't happen to want to sell that liftgate frame off that CJ hardtop in the back ground eh?

Back