1993 Cherokee (XJ) Country: Build by TWDJ

It's been a long time since I've updated my build thread which isn't really an issue as I've been playing and not building. After a run this last weekend, it became VERY apparent the mods that have been done so far need to have the final details completed to bring it all together.

If you can see well enough, in the pic below you can just see there is about a 1" gap between the fender flare and the fender … it's kind of in the shadow. You can see the dent, etc where the tire jammed into the lower part of the front fender buckling it. No major damage. Just need to take out inner fender stuff and "pop" back out. Then … commence with more fender trimming!

After the front fender trimming, I've got the following items on my list in some rough order of getting them done with time and money allowing:

1 - Trim rear fenders.
2 - C-Rok frame kit (steering box) and Warrior Products steering brace (already got them)
3 - install skids (factory stuff, but better than nothing at this point)
4 - 1" drop Pitman arm (already got it)
5 - driver side tie rod flip w/ go-fer-it (already got it)
6 - extend E-brake cables
7 - external CB antenna
8 - rocker guards
9 - winch (good one!)
10 - roof rack
11 - weld on frame stiffeners and brace the CADB

And in the midst of all this there is re-gearing, doing SOMETHING with the headliner over driver's head (PITA) and fix the rust spot under the front passengers feet.
=====

Attachments

• IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 960
What I did this weekend ... no more problems stuffing my tires from here on out.

Next up is the rear fenders and lower quarterpanels.

Attachments

• RFF-1.jpg
    RFF-1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 4,040
  • LFF-1.jpg
    LFF-1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,067

Did you trim the metal, or just pull the flares off?

First, I drew 2 horizontal lines, the first even with the headlight bezel and the second 3/4" below. :idea:

Second, I removed the flares, put duct tape on the fender approximately where the top edge of the flare met the fender then put the flares back on. Using the infamous Sharpee pen, a line was drawn around the edge of the flare.

Finally, used a jigsaw and cut around the flare line (removed almost 3" of metal) :sawzall: and the lower of the 2 horizontal lines under the headlight. Folded up the lower 3/4" at a right angle to the fender, filed/sanded the edges and painted it all up. :givemebeer:
=====

I was curious because the paint looked great. You did a heck of a job on it.

Thanks!

Using the masking tape I think helped as did using a 24-tooth metal cutting blade in the skillsaw. Really took my time and didn't push. A little 400 grit sandpaper to clean up the edges and the rest, as they say, is history.
=====

Back