First timer yj build

Willy Beamin

Ok so, plans have changed...again. I blew reverse on my ax-5 behind the monster 2.5l:lol: and i refuse 2 spend any time or money with the 2.5 or ax-5 this is stricktly trail ride so as much as i dont want down time i have a legal street truck so this 91 yj is lookin at a frame off rebuild these r the parts i have:
Dana 60 front axle. from aprox. 80sumthin ford so hp drivers side diff, king pin, drw hubs will swap 4 srw n i say 80 sumthin cuse its the wider leaf perches nd pumpkin wont alow inward movement
dana 60 rear havent checked up 2 much on it cause it came with the frunt n 4.10 gears installed in both just made me scared wen i acctually measured the rear nd the diff is off-set cuple inchs ive herd its not bad if i get both shafts cut 2 the longer lenght with longer cut splines so i could cut 1 shorter if needed BUT they also came with a dana 70 rear duli axle i also have a dana 61 that sum1 screwed me 4 still tryin 2 get my doh back think ill install the 1 with 4.10 2 ease the build n buget 4 now! hope i dont break a shaft 4 a while:redface::) oh and the first 3 axles i described cost me 800 canadian:lol: oh n he threw in a fully assembled with arms n shocks springs non axle disconnect d30 from a 88 cherokee he had layin around n my buddie needed it nd the drive shafts from the 2 vehicles not shure if there just scrap or not but wuteve
Next i have a 5.2l 318 out of a 93 ram 3500 big arse van that had only 120 000kmsnd it was FREE! my only problem with this is it had a messed up auto 2wd transmission i toke the wiring harness n comp but i want a std. trans. nd obviously 4x4 so wut r sum sugestions about this?? i have liked what i hear about the np435 nd it should work with the 5.2 with the right bell housing nd np231 transfer case i got should work after new input shaft nd id like 2 throw in a hd chain n 4:1 low range with s.y.e. nd since i got all the money to do this:lol: ill cange the axle gears to sumthin in the 5s prob
So how much easyer would it b 2 find a chep ram pick up 4x4 maby with a blown 5.2(can only hope maby they give it away:)) nd take the whole shabang 4 the yj? could i use the engine bay and dash wiring so therse no funny stuff it would be fully original harness?? that sounds like it would b to good 2 b true lol but very sweet if it could work!!! I know i jumped into this a lil fast but i bought the yj with 4'' lift n 33s wheeled the heck outta it nd loved every minute!!!!! that was the next step at the time nd now its time for the next step but i dont wanna trip on my own feet! HELP please

Last edited:

SO it the trans your current concern? I suggest looking for a TF 727 from an older dodge truck of FSJ jeep, plenty strong, cheaper and non-computer controled. Also, a TH400 might bolt up to that motor, the TH400 was used ina number of AMC applications, I am just not sure on the bolt pattern differences between teh AMC 304/360 and the magnum 318.

Ya my biggest concern is getting the trans and wiring everything. I would really like a std. trans 4 or 5 speed. what do u think about taking the full wiring harness from engine bay and in dash along with engine trans. and posibly transfer case from 4x4 pick up. my uncle has an old chev body rot took over with a 350 std. trans nd its 4x4 he said he sell 2 sum1 4 $1000 i might b able to barder with him ;) then pawn off the 318 on some1 else i got it 4 free anyway.

honeslty, probably not worth $1000, used in running shape, old tbi 350 goes for about $200 and that is most likely an SM 465 4 spd trans, bullet proof and again, only worth about $200 in good shape. the 318 is going to be limiting for a durable manual trans selection. since your not registering this, you can get away with running a TBI 350 from an 80's truck, they are solid motors, but only put out about the same power a stock 4.2 did, but on a plus side, you will get fuel injection which in my opinion is a must for a true wheeling rig. I have run every carb in the world and if your rig is on a steep approach or flopped on it's side, it simply won't run. the sm 465 has some low gearing, I think 6.67:1 1st, it will compensate for poor axle gearing (4.10 for example) if you have a ford axle, you'll have to find a T-case from a 88-98 chevy pick up for true inexpensive bolt in application. adapters will be needed for a Jeep or Ford case.

Ok aaaaaah ha ha new plans:D the truck is now a free item,170k kms and its a 3500 so i found out its got a 350ci with the 4bolt main nv4500 5 speed std. trans and np241 transfer case its a 95 so its not carb but apperantly fule is sprayed right into the throttle body(i need 2 look into this) since wen im done this project itll b pritty much a tube buggie(exo cage in the works) im just gunne strip all jeep wireing and swap COMPLETE chevy wireing so im not splicing and screwing around with 2. So basicly main plug on fire wall will b cut out of the steel nd installed on jeep tub. I now have 2 buddies that r mechanics that r willing 2 come over on weekends and keep me from goin insane. So the only things that will set me back sum $$ drive shafts, new gears (got 4.10 useable 4 now) and beer for my buddies!:lol: IM SO HAPPY!!!!! the O.D.B. will b ready in no time!

That's TBI (throttle body injection) it's a decent fuel injection and a little better than a carb. It's computer controlled and can be chipped but that motor had about 195 hp stock and good chance it's a 2 bolt main, most were. I got 260k miles out of my last one. Not a ton of power but a decent motor.

That's TBI (throttle body injection) it's a decent fuel injection and a little better than a carb. It's computer controlled and can be chipped but that motor had about 195 hp stock and good chance it's a 2 bolt main, most were. I got 260k miles out of my last one. Not a ton of power but a decent motor.

Im guessing the chip is probly easyest or cheepest? How much gain in hp would that b? I dont plan on doin alot of work or speending mounds of dough for a lil extra horse power its allready double the out put of the 4cyl im replaceing but who dosent want more. I would just like to b able cruz around and have fun, and i belive the best improvement after everythings installed would b proper gears(but would set me back over a g). The axles came with 4.10s what would be better for a jeep with a 350 n 44''s. I love mud the most but theres a couple rocks around no comp's or things of that nature but i love flyin up a hill no1 thought i could nd catchin air at the top(even did it with the 4cyl n 33s:lol:) oh and i just read this but they say the 2500-3500's came 4bolt main nd 1500, suburbans nd such r 2 bolt main but wut ev not a big deal unless im rebuilding the motor for mega hp right? Also dose any1 make s.y.e. kits for the 241 i just find them for the 231??

Ok has anybody used leaf springs wen swaping a 86-88 or so d60 front axle? i was told once i out board the leafs at the frame i can bolt the axle right in. Here is a pic of the problem, the u-bolt is sitting on the diff webbing. also i dont wanna hear it about the u-bolt plate so heres a pic of the ones im usein VERY THICK just didnt have them wen i was ready to drop the front:) got them from TMR customs somewhat local (4 me) good guys! They dont have the plates on there site yet but the said soon they got lots of stuff!!!! I asked them about the u-bolt problem and they even brought me in the back 2 look at the d60s there linking and puttin in a tj but completly different axle and they have never kept the leafs in there rigs.

Attachments

• wills iphone pics 006.JPG
    wills iphone pics 006.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 448
  • bgt 001.JPG
    bgt 001.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 318
  • bgt 002.JPG
    bgt 002.JPG
    993.3 KB · Views: 314

I found out others have just drilled a hole through the web, I wasnt shure if this would b ok but if its bin done b4 nd there happy with it, I probly wont have any issuse.

either drill a hole or you can cut some grooves so the u-bolt sits fairly flush with the center casting.

also, you can find junk yard cast vortec heads and they will help that motor breath a lot better, and all 350's from 87 or 88 are 4 bolt mains, most car applications and 1/2 ton truck applications simply do not have the splay bolts tapped, so if you tear into the bottom end, you will have to drill and tap the holes for splay bolts and get new main caps, bearings, and in some applications 1 piece rear main seal.

also, since your rig is a trail rig, sell the NV4500 and search for a sm465. the NV 4500 has a lot higher resale.
Since your jeep is a trail rig, you will not need the over drive, Might be able to sell for about $700, get a sm 465 for about $100.

A lil progress,

Attachments

• more 007.JPG
    more 007.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 891
  • more 008.JPG
    more 008.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 528
  • more 009.JPG
    more 009.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 422
  • iphone bumper 004.JPG