AMC 360 Build/Rebuild

82CJ7JEEP

To start with this will not be a quick rebuild, I already have a 302 in the machine shop. The motor lost a bearing on main while I was out a couple weeks ago, and I now have come up with the time to start the removal. The pics below are as it sits right now, I will keep posting pics as we get into the teardown. Any gremlins I need to keep am eye out for, as far as rebuilds of 360's. I generally stay with small block fords and don't know much about the AMC motor line. Thanks

Attachments

• Ready to pull 4.JPG
    Ready to pull 4.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 4,013
  • Ready to pull 5.JPG
    Ready to pull 5.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 3,426

Well finally found a couple of free hours to work on the Jeep. Got the Alt off, Radiator out, Core support removed, fuel lines removed. All I need to do now is get the power steering pump off, remove the carb, unbolt the transmission and motor mounts and yank it out. Pics below are where we ended up today.

Attachments

• Gettin Ready 1.JPG
    Gettin Ready 1.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 905
  • Gettin Ready 2.JPG
    Gettin Ready 2.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 670
  • Gettin Ready 3.JPG
    Gettin Ready 3.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 265
  • Gettin Ready 4.JPG
    Gettin Ready 4.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 266
You still looking for an amc 360? I've got one if you are intrested. It's all built and everything, make the job a little easier!

No thanks Sweetpeet, as my son said we have a 302 in the machine shop. Wasn't expecting this one to detonate so soon. Appreciate the offer. Is there anything I need to watch out for while rebuilding the 360?

82CJ7JEEP said:
No thanks Sweetpeet, as my son said we have a 302 in the machine shop. Wasn't expecting this one to detonate so soon. Appreciate the offer. Is there anything I need to watch out for while rebuilding the 360?

Nah, it's all pretty easy.

Well it has been a while since an update, got the motor out and the son and I started the tear down. It all looked good until the heads came off! :(Found 3 broke pistons.:x What really scares me is that there were NO metal shavings/bits/pieces in the pan.:shock:The below pics show the pistons after removal. It would be my best guess that the PO built it this way just to make it run and get rid of it. The heads, springs, valves are in usable shape, the connecting rods, bearings, crank are all in good shape. The cylinder walls are baby butt smooth, no scratches, grooves etc. Any comments would be greatly appreciated as to how the pistons have ended up like this. I am not sure at this time if the 360 will even be rebuilt, I am leaning towards the 5.0 that is already at the machine shop, it will just be a longer build.

Attachments

• broke piston 2.JPG
    broke piston 2.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 448
  • broke piston 3.JPG
    broke piston 3.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 399

Wow those heads don't look like they are on great condition, you should defiantly consider dropping those by the shop.

As for the pistons, maybe they just got really brittle for some reason. I have never seen this before but you can see the outline of one of the broken pistons on one of the heads. So you know it was driven like that and on there for a long while. I wouldn't reuse that piston set again.

I've seen that with detonation and with a ring gap to tight. The material most likely went out the exhaust. The only time you see piston material in the pan is if there's a hole in it or total failure. You would be suprised at what will go out the exhaust when something fails.

Back