New 89 YJ Project

BrnDave

I just bought an 89 YJ Islander. All stock looking to make it more road worthy and trail happy :D wondering what upgrades i should do first. Here is what ive done so far.

Replaced front seats (Driver side racing seat too high:???:
preparing to hurculine interior (suggestions welcome)
repainted hard top inside and out
looking to do SOA lift
trying to sound proof lol maybe a lost cause.

Also wondering if the nutter bypass is for me the carb seems to be doing ok but wondering if i should take the plunge. Any more ideas would be great im looking to post pics when i start doing some of the build.

Tsunami Premium Sound Mats for the sound the work great and will cut down on heat coming up also...not too cheap..If you decide to hurciline it and sound proof it also i would look at putting some spay duraliner down first then then the mats, then i would use the thinker liner, carpet or what ever you decide. If you are not a big mudder or do not get the interrior wet or dirty alot I would look at carpeting or vinyl liner it. Carpet or vinyl is actually easier to use and cheap alot of times. and helps with sound also.

Motorcraft 2150 carb is a great upgrade.

If you're going through the trouble with a SOA lift, might as well upgrade to better axles, like a pair of d44's. I run a Wagoneer front d44 and Rodeo read d44 in my YJ, setting up a similar pair for my MJ.

Thanks for the tips going to Fat bobs here in Utah they quoted me 550 to 600 to do the SOA lift (i dont have space to do it myself.)

Hurculiner seems like the cheapest bed liner product out there to just seal the tub and have some sound proofing im looking up the options you gave me tho. i am planning on having carpet in the end most likely taking it out when i go to the trails.

Also what kind of abuse can the stock axles carry im mostly mild crawling here in UT so is the axle upgrade an absolute need? or just a nice to have?

Your stock axles will work well up to 33" tires, your rear axle is the non c-clip model of the Dana35 so it's marginally stronger than the later c-clip design.

looking at 33" or 35" depending on what fills the fenders the best after the lift. Also looking at sound bars i have the stock "fun bar" so it will be over my head just wondering if anyone has put one on.

Might want to consider A SYE w/ CV driveshaft set up... They seem to have dropped in price some lately, so not a huge $$ investment......

Best $$ I have spent on my '89 was on a Hi-Steer kit... Night & day difference!!!

As for sound bars... I have the 6 speaker one from VDP... and my radio/receiver is mounted vertically in the center console.. So I can lock it up & it protects it from the weather... But I'm bikini / topless only..

Mine was already sprayed inside when I bought it (stock but no top) its great except they even did the roll bar.. Why? No need.. Looks 1000x better now with the roll bar cover ... (and feels better)

If you do decide to swap out axles.. Might as well go ahead and re- gear... You'll be happier in the long run..(. I went for a quick fix & swapped in some axles w/lower gears that I got for free...but I need to go lower still.... )

I'd save the "under hood" stuff till after you finish the suspension/ steering mods... But That's just me;-)

Take lots of pictures... & have fun!!!

image-364280626.png

[☠]lllllll[☠] 89 YJ ...SOA +6.5...44"Trxus' I Love my dirtYJeep! [☠]lllllll[☠]

Dont worry pics will be coming :D As soon as i find time i will do a full write up on sound and tub liner.

Anyone have an answer to lowering the front seats my legs are in the steering wheel with the racing style seats.

skyboo johnson said:
I have an 89 yj 4.2 and put a 38 webber on it, for me its an everyday driver and runs great!
Good Luck, Hope to see pics soon

Same set up on my 89.... No problems at all;-)

[☠]lllllll[☠] 89 YJ ...SOA +6.5...44"Trxus' I Love my dirtYJeep! [☠]lllllll[☠]

thanks guys the snow here in ut is slowing me down a bit but will have pics and updates soon.

Also suggestions on where to get wheels and tires 33" to 35"s

I always use Big-O Tires. They are usually the best $$$, will support you forever if you have flats/damage and they will price match any local competitor.

Ok just finshed lining the tub of my jeep with duplicolor liner should i post the write up here or in another thread?

ok got a big portion of the build done finally...

SOA lift
XRC front and rear bumper with tire carrier
rock sliders
33in tires
8.8 rear
rough country winch
electric fan
headlight rewire and upgrade
duplicolor bed liner on the interior
SYE and new shaft
:shades:

Attachments