87 YJ 2.5L carb conversion project

MAG427

Greetings all,

This is my first post here. Ive been searching far and wide for some information that can help me with a problem I'm having but have so far come up dry. I'm hoping Ive finally come to the right place.

I have an 87 YJ with a 2.5L GM 4 cyl that was EFI but I have started to convert it to a carburetor setup. I just got tired of chasing down all the faults with the original system and the horrible performance that came with the EFI system. I replaced the throttle body with a 36/38 2bbl Weber for the 6 cylinder and modified the intake to accept it. Replaced the original fuel pump with a low pressure pump for use with a carb and am now at the point that I need an ignition system. For a while the original distributor worked and the Jeep ran great, better fuel mileage and much more power but an electrical issue caused the original ignition system to fry. So basically I need a distributor and ignition system that will work for me. I havent been able to find an HEI distributor and I dont know if the Ford style module setup will work. What do I do? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Photo09131412.jpg
    Photo09131412.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 1,900
  • Photo09171920.jpg
    Photo09171920.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 793
  • Photo09131412_1.jpg
    Photo09131412_1.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 1,555

i have a 1984 2.5 150 CID AMC i would like to get a carb replacement. i looking for a Carter with one vacum line to keep the ERG valve. i have giving up on E85. can any one help
david roberson

I'm looking at your current vacuum lines and see a couple problems. You have your PCV valve routed to the air cleaner (A FRAM breather should go there instead) I have HEI distributors in stock if needed still. I own a Motorcraft conversion business.

Tell me more about the 2.5 HEI you have. How much are they? How long does take to get one? Will this work in the AMC 2.5?

Tell me more about the 2.5 HEI you have. How much are they? How long does take to get one? Will this work in the AMC 2.5?
i have a 1984 amc 2.5 150 i putting a single barrel motorcraft carb on after i get a new cam and lifters installed for a daily driver this engine was a factory install with NO computer just a manual fuel pump taking most of vacum off thing it had cal. emmissions just for off road work on a farm i need a heater and to get out of the cold in the winter time. it also has a 4 speed. i got it off ebay from portland OR. putting street tires 195 X 15 back on., trying to replace a 48 1/2 cab with no heater and the rust issue. has soon as i get it running i give you a buzz.

thanks david roberson
farmer/woods indiana

Greetings all,

This is my first post here. Ive been searching far and wide for some information that can help me with a problem I'm having but have so far come up dry. I'm hoping Ive finally come to the right place.

I have an 87 YJ with a 2.5L GM 4 cyl that was EFI but I have started to convert it to a carburetor setup. I just got tired of chasing down all the faults with the original system and the horrible performance that came with the EFI system. I replaced the throttle body with a 36/38 2bbl Weber for the 6 cylinder and modified the intake to accept it. Replaced the original fuel pump with a low pressure pump for use with a carb and am now at the point that I need an ignition system. For a while the original distributor worked and the Jeep ran great, better fuel mileage and much more power but an electrical issue caused the original ignition system to fry. So basically I need a distributor and ignition system that will work for me. I havent been able to find an HEI distributor and I dont know if the Ford style module setup will work. What do I do? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

were there any adapter plates involved ? i understand the center might have to be hogged out a little for the two throttle plates on the weber , but did the weber bolt right up to the intake ?

Back