95 Wranglel YJ home made Brute project!

Ghost Rider

Hi guys,
Since I have removed the back seat from my YJ long time ago, I have decided to build my own Brute type of kit for mine. The Riston yep will be to remove my roll cage nd build a new one that overs just the front seats area.mit will be build out of rectangular seamless tubbing and then the enclosing project will begin..... Any comments???

have fun and good luck I did a brute project back home 3 years ago took me a 2 months (working on it on the weekends) but that was working almost 18 hours sat and 14 hours sun and by myself but it was fun wish i had some pictures to show you the process of the build...have fun :welder:

have fun and good luck I did a brute project back home 3 years ago took me a 2 months (working on it on the weekends) but that was working almost 18 hours sat and 14 hours sun and by myself but it was fun wish i had some pictures to show you the process of the build...have fun :welder:

It is not going to be a true brute. I will make my own stuff. I want to make a new roll cage and be able to enclose it when I want to and have been working on closing the bed but I want to be able to open it and close just like the trunk on a car. It will be fun.

I like the idea. Are you extending the body or making a seperate bed?
I was thinking about extending it for a while but I decided to leave the back and trunk area as "the bed"... I love the car and want to be able to do two things. One to change it quite bit by having a cab but also to be able to change it back to original by removing and reinstalling about two dozen bolts... I want to make a solid bikiny top for it as well as solid rear window area and trunk lid that opens upwards with air springs but I want to be able to remove them if I want to drive with "wind on my face and bugs on my teeth".... if I want to.
As a engineer and a machinist, I believe that using rectangular tubbing for the roll cage is a better idea because it offers more possibilities and choices. Using rectangular tubbing will also ally me to weld gussets on the corners to make the cage stronger. I also plan on drilling the gussets to accept carabiners and be able to hook gear to it. Really excited about this because all of a sudden, my head is swarming with ideas. I have seen yesterday something on a Swiss Army backpack that give me some ideas about the inside of the "cab". ....

They idea sounds very cool, keep us posted with pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz

If you can find a cab off of a cj8 "scrambler"those will fit a yj. Then you could build your cage inside of that. Then you'd only have to make a lower bulk head or a bed cover. Just an idea.

Most brute projects are done for the purpose of stretching the wheelbase to 110 or 120 inches, if your not extending the frame there is an after market hard top available that gives you a truck cab easily, well built and comparably inexpensive, or you can get the same effect from a duster and bed cover.

Having owned several Toyota mini trucks, compared to the jeep I don't see much of a space advantage unless you extend the bed. Those brute kits are real nice buy very expensive. I think that you could just stretch the frame and rear of the jeep body about. Foot or a little less and it would be comparable to the rear overhang of a standard can pickup. Sort of like a reverse bed bob. You would still get a cab of sorts and a custom tonneau from a boat company to cover the modified bed.

Hi guys,
Since I have removed the back seat from my YJ long time ago, I have decided to build my own Brute type of kit for mine. The Riston yep will be to remove my roll cage nd build a new one that overs just the front seats area.mit will be build out of rectangular seamless tubbing and then the enclosing project will begin..... Any comments???

Back