Scubadude's Jeep Build - 2007 Wrangler JK

ScubaDude

I thought it was about time I got a build thread started up. I havent done to much yet but I did slap on a mirror relocation kit and I have a lift on the way. Now that I finally got the mirrors off the door I can drive around doorless.

Here is the stock setup
photo-19.JPG

Here is the new setup
photo-29.JPG

And here is how my jeep is going to spend its summer
photo(1).JPG

I know it's not much but more is hopefully soon to come.

Jeep always look good with the doors off.

I finally got around to installing that four inch lift.:D During the install we discovered that the previous owner already put in two inch spacers so we took them out and I'm hanging onto them for if I ever get a winch or just decide to ride higher. Here's a pic of the front:
image(1).jpeg

and the rear:image(2).jpeg

Bigger tires aren't on the top of the list.

And thanks terry.

Had one of the bolts holding my sway bar snap while driving today, scared the crap out of me. I'm learning my lessons one at a time, double check ALL bolts when tightening.

Luckily the sway bar is unharmed, I just have to dig the bolt out of it and replace.

Are you running stock swaybar links with a 4 inch lift? If so, you probably need longer swaybar links (or possibly some disconnects).

No when I bought the lift I also got some sway arms to suit, I probably started to tighten it but forgot to finish it off.

Got my fire extinguisher mounted. Also bought the JEEP sticker in CJ font since JKs don't say jeep on the side.

Attachments

• image-3055971531.jpg
    image-3055971531.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 391
  • image-850137997.jpg
    image-850137997.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 627
Seeing that extinguisher reminds me of a crazy story years back. I had a chrome extinguisher straped to my roll bar behind the drivers seat and about a 6 month old soft top. Had the jeep sitting on the side of my house for sale and someone stole my chrome extinguisher out of it. Crazy thing is, is that they didnt just open the door and grab it, no.... they took a knife and cut the side window to get to it, now ruining my new top. Just had to share the story

image-903386888.jpg

image-3859658501.jpg

I did the grille mod. Two part mod.

I plastidipped the grille and then I put some gutter guard in the grille slots. These mods can both be done separately of course but I did em both while the grille was off. I chose plastidip because it can peel off if you change your mind later.

For the grille

image-2188985738.jpg

Prep the surface. Since its plastidip DON'T sand so if you decide to take it off your grille will still look good. Tape over the rubber where the hood meets the grille.

Wait four hours for it to completely dry... You can put more coats on after breaks of 30 minutes though

image-430004372.jpg

Cut the plastidip where you tapped it before pulling off the tape.

image-1989113766.jpg

Pull the tape off slowly and carefully.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For the grille slots you'll need

image-2720045981.jpg

I used 35 of these zip tie base plates. Peel off the white adhesive and drop some gorilla glue on.

image-1487719296.jpg

Then cut some gutter guards to fit the slots

image-855698455.jpg

Zip tie the gutter guard into the base plates

image-2033347935.jpg

And reattach the grille.

image-705450745.jpg

DONE.

Attachments

• image-2908312132.jpg
    image-2908312132.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 289
**UPDATE**

Had some hail damage ended up needing a new hood and had everything re-painted and the dents all hammered out. Thank god for insurance. BUT my insurance guy told me that I could replace my hood with any hood if I take up the extra cost. He was also going to pay to get me a new tire cover since I was ripped so I just kept the tire cover and put that money towards a new hood. So I got an AEV Heat Reduction Hood at no cost to me.

image-4133468144.jpg

Since I didn't end up paying the RIDICULOUS ~$1000 on it I feel that my opinion regarding the hood is more honest then what the average person would be able to give. If your considering buying the hood then there are lots of pros and cons to it. First of all the major selling point on the hood is heat reduction. Now I haven't noticed a considerable difference in the heat levels in my engine compartment but I haven't had it offroad yet. I have noticed a slight increase in MPGs. So as far as function goes its adequate. I'll give it a 6 out of 10.

As far as looks go it has good angles and bad ones. It looks great in pictures but a little in your face in person. Also it makes me feel like I'm in a muscle car and I go a bit faster. I'll attach some pics at different angles so you can decide for yourself.

image-206684799.jpg

image-2529674803.jpg

image-1061250072.jpg

image-3714439080.jpg

The other thing is that it's angled just right to put the sun right in your eyes. Simple fix with sunglasses B)

All in all a says the hood is adequate. If I were to have to have bought it on my own I would be a little upset but for a free hood (thank you insurance) its fine. If it were to happen again I'll probably go back to the stock hood.

The hood looks pretty cool, but I'd be bummed that the "overland" isn't on the new hood (I bet that you can get a sticker off ebay).

Any chance you can post a better photo of the gutter guards? I've never seen this mod, but it looks interesting.

It's a bit of work to get the grille back off to show how I mounted it but I found the thread on the JK forum I belong to who took pretty decent pics. Plus the neon colors he used are a bit more visible.

image-3281243550.jpg

image-1822183819.jpg

image-1818466297.jpg

In the picture showing the back of the grill he used yellow zip ties through zip tie anchors:

image-2153120581.jpg

These are glued to the back of the grille. I took off the adhesive backing and dropped on gorilla glue.

You can paint the gutter guard any color to compliment your jeep if you buy the metal gutter guard but I went with plastic and kept them black. The whole mod cost me like $30.

Thanks! The grille mod is loads cheaper then the inserts offered by Quadratec and like brands. Its all starting to come together.

Back