The Cheap Wrangler Build...

My girlfriend got tired of my mismatched doors and wanted to paint my jeep

image-287037737.jpg

image-3202613324.jpg

image-1507945761.jpg

So about $50 bucks worth of paint and supplies later...

I took my jeep to the 2016 4wd hardware jamboree. I don't any pictures and an not sure how to post video but 4wd hardware posted there obsticale course and mud pit video my jeep is on at the 1:30 mark. I'm stoked!

I took my jeep to the 2016 4wd hardware jamboree. I don't any pictures and an not sure how to post video but 4wd hardware posted there obsticale course and mud pit video my jeep is on at the 1:30 mark. I'm stoked!

I looked on youtube, but didn't see it. If it's a youtube video, just copy the link and past it here.

Thanks! I'm not super computer savy, and I'm still using a 3G phone in a 4g world....lol

I've never liked the back seat in my tj as far as having my son ride back there. There is no neck support and it's not the greatest. I modified a jk back seat and used it with the lower portion of my tj back seat to fix the issue.

image-3780052053.jpg

image-521789615.jpg

image-297036169.jpg

image-4119461668.jpg

image-3113387536.jpg

image-2705061426.jpg

The nice part of this jk to tj seat conversion is I'm only into it $50. It was a bit more labor intensive than if I were to install it in a 03-06 tj as they use the same style latches as the jk.

I like that JK back seat - I know what you mean about the neck support. Did you lose the fold and tumble, or can you take the head rests off and still do it?

It will still fold, I will have to remove the headrests tho. I haven't tried the tumble yet as the jk seat is 4" taller than the tj seat, I don't think it will tumble.

IMG_0453.jpgIMG_0441.jpgIMG_0442.jpgIMG_0445.jpgIMG_0446.jpgIMG_0447.jpgIMG_0450.jpgIMG_0452.jpgNow to derail my own thread....a couple of months ago I was getting ready to do some exhaust work on my Wrangler when I discovered an un-patchable spot on my frame. This isn't a huge surprise planning to replace the frame come spring, however I wasn't expecting it to get this bad, I had hoped to safely drive the Jeep till I fixed it correctly. When the swap comes I have a couple of plans for the Jeep that I will reveal then. Well finding myself without a vehicle I looked at several and settled on an 2002 Jeep Liberty Renegade, it has 200k but the engine only has 60-70k and it had been decently maintained. It needed a few things from setting (it was a 3rd vehicle for the seller and was only driven occasionally for the last year) I did my customary new vehicle oil change, replaced some frozen brake pin sliders, front drive shaft CV joint, and the electric fan. I have since replaced the worn tires with some 245-75 R16 Goodyear Dura tracs, this is where I found how sagged out the stock suspension was. I did a good amount of reading on the subject and have found that the stock suspension can lose more than 1" of height IN LESS THAN 80,000 MILES! Couple this with the worn shocks and struts and I chose to upgrade. I purchased 2" lift TJM springs from Summit Racing (they are doing away with their product line so all of their products are deeply discounted), I got front HD and rear springs for $160, I bought an G2 diff cover for the 8.25" rear diff while I was there. I ordered some 2" lift shocks for a WJ grand cherokee (Rubicn Express monotubes they are Bilstien 5100's made for Rubicon Express), I also order the recommended TeraFlex bump stops and some Bilstein front struts. I made the rear bumstops from hockey pucks. So far the rear lift is in and I'm hoping to finish the front this week and get it aligned.

I was looking at those photo's thinking you had upgraded your Wrangler - new rear axle, new coil overs, etc..

Lift is all finished and the Jeep is aligned. I will end up replacing the rear driveshaft U-joint(s) and keep an eye on some of the other older parts but for now this should end my thread derail, lol. For anyone that is curious I will post a part list and rough pricing, in most cases Liberty's are cheaper than Cherokee's or Grand Cherokee's and they aren't bad Jeeps.

Pricing for 2" lift:

Bilstien front struts $203 (pair/ Amazon)

TJM HD front springs $81 (closeout price Summit Racing)

TJM rear springs $81 (closeout price Summit Racing)

Rubicon Express Mono Tube shocks (Bilstein 5100's) $175 (pair/4wheel parts)

TeraFlex front bumpstops $44 (Quadratec)

4-Hockey pucks $12 M.C. Sports (rear bump stops)

I ended up adding a few extra but not required items such as new top plates and isolaters for the front struts as I didn't want to reuse the old pieces and I wanted to assemble the front struts to save time on the lift install.IMG_0454.jpgIMG_0364.jpgIMG_0458.jpg

First pic is front lift installed (minus the bumpstop, they are easier to install when the tire is back on and the Jeep is on the ground), second is with new tires before the lift and the final is lift installed.

Just thought I post another update on the Liberty. I'm still on the lookout for a frame, it looks like next year now but I'm still plugging away at other projects on the TJ getting ready for that time. In the mean time I've been tinkering some, I installed a couple of sets of LED headlights recently and decided I wanted a set for the Liberty. Problem is no one makes them....well I got creative.
IMG_0616.jpgIMG_0615.jpgIMG_0618.jpg

I used some Omix-ADA 97-17 universal buckets and bezels (I'm not super impressed) and some Amazon LEDs I also installed some LED fog lights in the stock buckets with some slight modification. My main reason for the update (aside from going full mall crawler with this jeep) is because of how yellowed and hazy the stock light housing were. The only other parts I needed were the correct light adapters, most LED's have an H4 style plug that works with CJ/TJ lights and they include the correct adapter for the JK (H16 I believe) the Liberty uses a 9007 bulb. I found the adapters on Amazon for $4.99. So in spite of what Google tells you, you can adapt 7" round headlights in a liberty with very little work and modification.

I haven't updated this in quite a while. Figured I would post some of what I've doing to the TJ. Still need a frame but I have a lot of other stuff to do to keep busy till I get one.IMG_2429.JPGIMG_2441.JPGIMG_2444.JPGIMG_2445.JPGIMG_2448.JPGIMG_2450.JPGIMG_2451.JPGIMG_2453.JPGIMG_2458.JPG

One of the projects that I've been planning for the TJ is to put on this Scrambler half-cab I picked up back in 2014. I cut the roll-bar off behind the main hoop, bent it forward, shortened the windshield frame tie-ins and re-installed the sound bar (this temporary as I will install a front cage kit prior to taking it off-road). I made the bulkhead out of 16ga steel plate and 1/4" x 1" thin walled box tube. I did a rough trim on the front edge of the hardtop and installed some latches I had in my parts box. The top will be further modified (some areas need repaired). I will keep this updated as I make and install some aluminum corner armor and do some panel repair as time allows.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

My buddy got all the wiring sorted out to use the original tail light plug (while I worked on shaping and drilling the corner). These are nicer than the generic round sink in lights as they have a white reverse light ring. I still need to replace some steel behind the corner, but that will be done when the tub is off.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back