Anyone have experience with vht flameproof paint

blaylock6502

I recently refinished a valve cover for my 74 cj5. I stripped and primed it and went to the autoparts store for some flat black paint. The only flat they had was flameproof. I've used it before and like the look so I thought what the heck. I painted it and took it home that evening. At some point it rolled over in my trunk and scratched pretty bad. I know they say to let it cure for 7 days before reapplying is that y it scratched so easily or could it be because I used regular primer? Thanks!

Yes........ The base materials are different. Consider that some paint like lacquers evaporate while urethanes cure. It would be similiar to the effect of spraying lacquer over top of POR-15.

How do I know this? I used POR-15, rattle can primer and spray on automotive lacquer primer on my tub. Oh..... And I even had a few spots of Rust-o-lum too. My paint flaked, pealed and melted off the POR-15......... Really sucked!

Last edited:
I thought you could paint over POR-15?

You can..... But the direction say to "dust" your finally coat of POR15 with your top coat and let it completely dry. I've done a few axles that way and top coated with Rust-o-lum with great results. But when I sprayed Auto lacquer primer on top of it, it started pealing around the edges? On my tub, it was fully dried (2 weeks worth)?

Ok, I knew it wasn't UV protected and you had to put something on it if it were to be exposed much. My neighbor was building a 50's Chevy truck and put it on the frame then wheeled it outside. The sun turned it purple.
I've got a friend that's had success spraying POR 15. I think he cut it with laquer thinner, not sure what kind of spray gun it was. It looked really good.

Back