Jeep YJ on 43" Stickies, KING Coiloves, and more

motobilt

Official Vendor
I am working on a Jeep YJ build in the shop. This build reminds me of the YJ builds I was known for back around 1997-2004. It is cool to be building one again. This Jeep is the test bed for a number of new Motobilt products I am working on. You will see a new back half kit, 4 link suspension kits for the front and rear, a super trick new 14 bolt axle truss and more. If you want check out this build on our website for more details and pictures.

jeep-yj-4linked.jpg

MB3001-backhalf-yj.jpg

20130809-002613.jpg

20130821-215816.jpg

motobilt-jeep-yj-back-half-kit.jpg

motobilt-yj-backhalf-kit.jpg

SEE THE BUILD HERE:

Custom Build Jeep YJ 4 Link Suspension and back half kit by Motobilt | Motobilt Metal Fabrication Blog

Last edited by a moderator:
I am working on the 4 links for the front and rear. I think some of you will like the kits being developed from this build.

Dan

Motobilt
www.motobilt.com
334-699-6300
Sent from my phone.

I like what your doing. Those pics at ride height?

On the front, is that just a bumper or is it a "front half" kit. If latter, where did you cut the frame?

That's a nice looking YJ. Are the wheels totally outside of the body / fender-wells? That would cut down on the need for trimming I'd imagine.

I have been busy in the shop. I wish i had more time to keep up with the updates. I have been working on some parts that go nicely with the back half kit. Here is the beginnings of a 4 link kit I am working on for the Jeep YJ. Basically it will bolt into the factory skid plate location to locate the brackets forward and back. The brackets will then be welded in place.

Here are a few pics. The skid hangs down roughly 4 inches. If I remember correctly it is closer to 4.25" down. This is not much different than the stock skid. The intended use of this kit is to four link the front and rear of a YJ using full width axles. Both the front and rear upper links have adjustment options.

The lower rod ends are 1-1/4" x 1 and the uppers are 7/8 x 3/4. The lower link frame side mounts are built into the skid to eliminate hooks and allow the belly to slide smoothly onto a link if needed.

The link mounts are 1/4". Some of the internal bracing is 3/16". The skid is a reinforced 1/4" plate.

More updates coming very soon.

You can also find more pics and updates here:
Custom Build Jeep YJ 4 Link Suspension and back half kit by Motobilt | Motobilt Metal Fabrication Blog

motobilt-4-link-yj7.jpg motobilt-4-link-yj4.jpg motobilt-4-link-yj5.jpg motobilt-4-link-yj1.jpg mb1503-3-1-700.jpg

Been following you on Facebook as well as over on pirate, stuff looks awesome and I am enjoying the "thinking out of the box" approach. Just wondering for a future build, what is your price point for the sub-frame? What are we talking about for vertical seperation on the front links at the frame end?

Also do you see any issues with the skid plate? Specifically the attachment points under the plate (contact issue) and strength with out cross bracing?
Here in the North East, skid plates take a horrible beating, being hi-centered on a skid plate or coming down hard on one is a normal event.

Thanks for the response and best regards!

Been following you on Facebook as well as over on pirate, stuff looks awesome and I am enjoying the "thinking out of the box" approach. Just wondering for a future build, what is your price point for the sub-frame? What are we talking about for vertical seperation on the front links at the frame end?

Also do you see any issues with the skid plate? Specifically the attachment points under the plate (contact issue) and strength with out cross bracing?
Here in the North East, skid plates take a horrible beating, being hi-centered on a skid plate or coming down hard on one is a normal event.

Thanks for the response and best regards!

The vertical sep varies depending on the upper mounting location used. I will have to get the specific numbers for you. i am not at the shop right now.

The skid plate is a starting point. It has to be braced. The kit will come without bracing because of the many drivetrain variations it can be used with. This YJ build is a a work in progress and I will update when we get more done on the skid plate. Right now my attention is on the front axle truss. LOL well along with other projects in the shop.

Skid plates take abuse in just about all wheeling environments. I live in the south but go wheeling all over the US. This customers Jeep is going to get beat on pretty hard. it is not going to be a daily driver type vehicle. It will ride to most events on a trailer.

Thanks for following along. I have been building Jeeps/buggies for many years. A few years ago when I sold out my previous business I welcomed the break. Now... I am super happy to be back at it. Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you. I will get the dims you asked for and post soon. Wish i could remember exactly what they were off the top of my head.

Dan

Getting closer. We are working to send this one home very soon. It is back running. Still need to run exhaust, get the coils on, and some other small projects before it leaves.

wpidimg_155254833408177-1.jpeg

wpidimg_155261933885049-1.jpeg

Back