86 Laredo resto/mod

Man, that thing looks great. It does make me sad though, that your 86 gets the exact same fuel mileage as my 2005 Wrangler :shock:

Great work!

X2 ! This build is testament to Stacy David's of the old TNN show TRUCKS ! Favorite saying ; " It's all in the details ! " . You did one fabulous job of detailing and the end result is a beautiful CJ that you will NEVER part with or stop driving . You built it YOUR way and it is a build that so many dream of doing. This post will no doubt serve to incite many to " don't just stand there , go out and build something ! " - Stacy David . Great build , great job. Can't say enough. Real proud of your work and tireless effort. Sir , you have entered a place where many hope to be , a master CJ builder. Be proud , drive your jeep with pride. You shall , you've earned it . Keep on Rollin' !

X2 ! This build is testament to Stacy David's of the old TNN show TRUCKS ! Favorite saying ; " It's all in the details ! " . You did one fabulous job of detailing and the end result is a beautiful CJ that you will NEVER part with or stop driving . You built it YOUR way and it is a build that so many dream of doing. This post will no doubt serve to incite many to " don't just stand there , go out and build something ! " - Stacy David . Great build , great job. Can't say enough. Real proud of your work and tireless effort. Sir , you have entered a place where many hope to be , a master CJ builder. Be proud , drive your jeep with pride. You shall , you've earned it . Keep on Rollin' !

Thanks Greg! :)

Just had to say it again , WHAT A BEAUTIFUL JEEP. ! Man , you put your heart into this build !
unbelievable detail and craftmans ship ! It's more than a toy , it's a thing of beauty !

You can fix the lumpy idle and low vac running manifold vac, I know you know this and have tried it, but keep messing with it. you have to limit the amount the vac can pulls usually around 10 to 15* or you will run into bucking and jerking at very low speed and or cruise. Set your timing as usual (no vac), then plug the line for the vac can into full manifold vac, your idle will instantly go up, as will your timing,(timing will increase by the amount the can will supply) turn the idle screw down to desired idle rpm, leave the ported vac port pluged. once you are pluged into manifold vac you only have to dial in the vac can (limit it to 10-15*) and you should be good or real close. Don't mess with the timing anymore after you set it and plug into manifold, all of your adjustments will be with the vac can, and you have a adjustable can. You will see cooler temps, better gas mileage, better throttle response with manifold vac. I know you know this already, but if you really want to switch we can work through it together, it really boils down to trial and error with the vac can. (getting the correct amount)

You can fix the lumpy idle and low vac running manifold vac, I know you know this and have tried it, but keep messing with it. you have to limit the amount the vac can pulls usually around 10 to 15* or you will run into bucking and jerking at very low speed and or cruise. Set your timing as usual (no vac), then plug the line for the vac can into full manifold vac, your idle will instantly go up, as will your timing,(timing will increase by the amount the can will supply) turn the idle screw down to desired idle rpm, leave the ported vac port pluged. once you are pluged into manifold vac you only have to dial in the vac can (limit it to 10-15*) and you should be good or real close. Don't mess with the timing anymore after you set it and plug into manifold, all of your adjustments will be with the vac can, and you have a adjustable can. You will see cooler temps, better gas mileage, better throttle response with manifold vac. I know you know this already, but if you really want to switch we can work through it together, it really boils down to trial and error with the vac can. (getting the correct amount)

Sorry, didn't notice this posting........ Was not ignoringyou. I have run manifold vac on other cars and I did a lot of trial and errorwith the Jeep. I had several calls with Comp Cams and DUI with regards to thisproject and the best vac set up, but I'm getting better throttle response, smoother acceleration andeven better fuel mileage from ported. This Jeep sees a fair mix of low speed andhighway to and from work, its more drivable with ported.

I currently have the advance limiter and adjustable can installed, I removedand boxed up the DUI factory equivalents. The Weber carb is designed for portedadv. and I've been able to curve my cut-in and limit it where is best forhighway cruising. The lumpy idle is well within manageability and after someadditional timing and carb adjustments is much better. If I were going as fastas I could in a straight line, all these mods and manifold vac would workbetter to my advantage.

My father who raced Euro-Rally cars as a young man, took his first look at theJeep not long ago and he sum up this build rather well "At some point whenbuilding this engine, you reached that fork in the road: one path is stock theway AMC designed it and the other was a modified race engine. You just blazedyour own path down the middle".

Its all good, didn't think you were ignoring me. Sounds like you have it running pretty good though. It turned out real nice, what does your son think of it now? does he still like the old truck better?

Back