Beatty

Here's the deal: I have an 2001 XJ that I rolled last summer (I'm young and dumb). I decided to chop into something awesome to go off road with but I started college and didn't have time. So its been sitting back home and in my free time I try to get an idea of what I want to do. I found a site that had some pictures that looked pretty cool. Ill put some pictures up but for the whole thing go to the link and scroll to scroll toward the bottom until you get to Goatman with a yellow XJ. ( TOTM: Unibody Chop Tops - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum ).

My jeep is not nearly as beat up as his but the idea is the same. My problem is that I don't know where to start the process. I doing this mostly myself for a couple reason. the first is so my ******* brother doesn't try to jack it off me and let it rust away. The second is i want to learn the skills that go into fabrication so I can build my resume. (Mechanical Engineering). I have a lot of experience in construction (i.e. Framing, electrical, plumbing) but that doesn't really help me here. I have some auto mechanic experience but not enough to tackle something like this without help. I have access to a full auto garage and a lot of dudes with experience to help me with the more technical stuff. I'm trying to get help here first so I can go to the garage with a plan and not let my ideas get pushed to the side.

So the black jeep is mine, the yellow is what I want to do.

So what I'm looking for is some guidance from the Jeep Elders on where to start and ideally a vague step-by-step. Thanks for any help I can get.

Attachments

• 20130705_201106.jpg
    20130705_201106.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • Black jeep roof.jpg
    Black jeep roof.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 584
  • During.jpg
    During.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 657
  • Jeep Yellow3.jpg
    Jeep Yellow3.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 845
No progress yet. I planned on getting something done over Thanksgiving break but I ended up working everyday so the plan now is do it over the summer.

Thanks for the reply. Any advice where to start would be appreciated.

Back