75 cj5

This is my dash, its aluminum I think,(not polished) cost around $70 but had no holes in it, wasn't hard at all to drill my own with a hole saw. I made 2 support bars to run from the dash to the firewall for support so it wouldn't flex.

Really nice job ! Good looking jeep sir ! Can't wait to see when Shewilly applies her personal touch in details such as this in her taste !
like the turn signals , reminiscent of the old school big rigs . Nice ! Diggin' it !

​Id like a better look at where your upper door hinge is located if possible.

Glad to see your making lots of progress and it's all comming together nicely. Old CJ's usually are more work than the newer Jeeps. You will often see when people post a thread about what Jeep should I buy, a CJ is often discouraged for this reason. You have taken on a great challenge with this Jeep, hat's off to you. I've got a question for you. How much have you learned by owning and rebuilding this Jeep? Some people don't ever think of what a project like this has taught them.

This is the only pic I have of the upper hinge. It bolts to the inside of the windshield frame. Mine and your jeep should be very similar as big changes came in 76. They are diff such as the drive train, but a lot will be the same.

Nope, Ive got a good idea where it is, thanks. Yes, everything did change in 76, do I admit knowing this when I went with the 75? Ok yes, I did. Thought it would up the challenge a bit, and yes, it did! Did I need that additional challenge? Survey would prob say no!
Dont be surprised if I look you up later for that pic tho! And Ive got tons of questions about your mods, but Id be jacking my own thread then. If you have a build thread somewhere, Id like to check it out.

Glad to see your making lots of progress and it's all comming together nicely. Old CJ's usually are more work than the newer Jeeps. You will often see when people post a thread about what Jeep should I buy, a CJ is often discouraged for this reason. You have taken on a great challenge with this Jeep, hat's off to you. I've got a question for you. How much have you learned by owning and rebuilding this Jeep? Some people don't ever think of what a project like this has taught them.

Ill try to keep this short!

Never buy a Jeep site unseen! (doh)
I learned how involved and pricey an SOA mod would be, if done rite.
A properly sealed gasket, is a happy gasket.
I should have paid attention when my ex rebuilt all those carbs on the kitchen table =(
A 40 yr old Jeep has had many previous owners, and I hate them all.
Fixing a car and changing parts are two entirely different things.
This could very well cost me more than what I retire with.
Not sure which of those two things will come first!
I would meet lifelong friends, chasing parts on Craigslist.
Joining forums like this one is helpful and a necessity.
If they arent Jeep people, its true, they dont understand.

Last edited:

I do not have a build thread, I finished my jeep just as I joined this site. I do have some pics in the garage though, I cut out and replaced the front and back floors as you have done, I also had to make channels for body mounts as you also. My body panels were in great shape, although I could tell someone had put on a passenger side panel in the past. I just realized you were female today and think it is awesome you are taking this on, ask any questions you have as there are many people on the site that can and will help. With your willingness, the people on this site, and your fab guy, this jeep is done!

Well when you hang out with other Jeepers you can actually join in the conversation about things that you have actually experianced. I think owning ( driving, building, hunting parts) an old CJ is an experiance in itself. It'd be alot easier to walk down to the dealer an buy a new Rubicon and there is nothing wrong with that. I like the road less traveled though. Like you said, I've met alot of good people through the parts chase. Old Jeeps aren't for everyone but I have enjoyed mine. I can laugh about the problems and things I've went though with 'em. They were all good times. I might have griped, cussed at the time but when I get old an I'm on the front porch with grand kids under foot and they say tell me a story...I've got a few.

Oh 'She"willy wasnt a dead giveaway? Lol
Well heres a question. How necessary are all those indicator lights on the dash? Do I need a light to come on to tell me my wipers are on etc? Seems like just more wiring to worry about. idk. All opinions welcome.

Well, I kinda felt the same way about the dash. The only thing I have in my dash is non factory switches. I don't even have a speedometer in the dash yet because I don't want the gas/temp cluster that is built into most jeep speedo,s. I want a speedo only. I have a on/off switch for the headlights, on/off/on for wipers, on/off/on for heat, on/off fuel pump. I have aftermarket volts, temp, oil pressure gauge, and a tach, and without any illuminated light in the jeep except the gauges, its pretty dark inside at night, I carry a small flashlight so I can find things at night. I am wanting to get the factory switches now though, not because of the lighting at night, I think it will just make it look better.

*flatie 46 / "When" I get old? My grandsons are both 5 =) and they LOVE the Jeep (of course!) Is it unrealistic to think they will be driving mine 10 yrs from now? (I have 2, one for each) ;)

Last edited:
* 69jeepcj / I dont trust the fuel/temp on the factory speedo either, but Im just adding the guages I think are necessary (on the 80 cj) and keeping the original. I havent decided how this one is getting wired yet. Or what to do with the dash so...

*flatie 46 / "When" I get old? My grandsons are both 5 =) and they LOVE the Jeep (of course!) Is it unrealistic to think they will be driving mine 10 yrs from now? (I have 2, one for each) ;)
I'm sure they will and I bet they bragg on how cool grandma is having/building 2 old Jeeps.

Woah! Im much too cool to be grandma, Im GiGi! So its GiGi's Jeeps! lol

Below I tried to download a pic of rugged ridge tube bumper I got on ebay, but it didnt work =(
Some other time I guess.

Attachments

• rugged ridge bumper.png
    rugged ridge bumper.png
    179 bytes · Views: 2,422
Last edited:
Tube bumper. Wasnt my 1st choice, but not alot of choices out there for intermediate, and the price was rite. Also I like the seperate hitch kit idea that Rugged Ridge offers with this setup. Yea its a bit premature, but sometimes when you come across a deal, well you know. Finding one for the front is even more rare :( and the one thats on there now is hidious, but functional.

Attachments

• rugged ridge bumper.png
    rugged ridge bumper.png
    179 bytes · Views: 2,476
  • 100_4303-1.jpg
    100_4303-1.jpg
    967.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Wish I had fab guy. At this point I don't even have an engine guy. I just found your thread and glad I did. Build is looking good. I am definitely going to follow this thread.

Back