Jeep Build

Mtpockets

I picked this 1980 CJ7 up a long while back and have been working on it a while. I thought I would share a few pics. All bearings and seals are new in the driveline. A new 258 long block, the original was shot. The body and frame were in really good shape. Very little rust. The last pic attached was taken just before loading to bring home.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, bount hunter. I am proud of it. I plan on starting the motor today for a 30minute manufacture run in. High rpm to run in the cam and flat tappets.

I was able to get a 30min run on the new 258 this weekend. Runs and sounds great!! I have a bit of video on my phone, but I couldn't figure out how to attach it. Sorry.

How's the build coming? I'd love to see some after pictures

Hey Terry, I noticed on your 2005 jeep build post (nice ride by the way) you installed a ford rear end. I am eventually going to do something with the AMC 20 in mine. I was thinking of doing solid axle upgrades and possibly disc brakes. What all was involved making the ford axle work? Did you have to cut the axle tubes to shorten them?

The Ford Explorer 8.8 is slightly narrower than a stock TJ rear axle so no narrowing necessary.

Your AMC 20 is a strong axle once upgraded to the 1-piece axleshafts, that's the route I would take. Not sure what it takes to get disc brakes on the 20.

Thanks for the info bounty hunter. When I get this thing done i'm gonna enjoy it a while before doing anymore upgrades but I will keep all this in mind.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

A few more things done the last couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Just a word on the AMC20.. I put one piece shafts in a 7 once with a locker and ran it for around 8 years or so and had no problems out of it at all, and I wheeled a lot back then. I would stick with the 20 for now also. For you flat tappet cam, use a oil that contains "high zinc" such as Valvoline zr1 race oil, rotella, there are a few others as well. oil companies have changed the additives in the modern oils and you will wipe the lobes on the cam if you don't run the high zinc. Lots of write ups about this on the net. modern cars have roller cams nowadays not flat tappets.

image.jpegimage.jpeg
Well it's starting to look like something! You can see my hood on saw horses behind the Jeep in one of the pics. A storm came through a couple of days ago and blew it off the saw horses. I'll have to repair 3 deep scratches and several other minor ones. I was sick, literally.

Last edited:

Well all, this has been great project, and I have enjoyed every minute spent doing it. I loved the hard work and challenges of this project. My wife of 30 yrs was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease shortly after I got started and it fueled my desire to finish it up. The main reason for buying and building it was for spending the weekends together driving the back roads and the Mississippi River levee visiting many of the federal and state parks in our area. I have a few lose ends to nail down but should be on the road in a couple of weeks. I appreciate all the great comments and advise.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I finally got my winch installed and I'm still adding stuff. Got some LED lights and nerf bars to put on soon. I don't guess we ever really finish 'em do we!!

IMG_0729.JPG
IMG_0730.JPG

Last edited:
Back