Page 6 of 6 First ... 456

Re: My $120 CJ7 build

Free hardtop? That rocks

If memory serves, I ran a YJ hardtop on my CJ for years. I can't really remember, but I think it worked OK, I just couldn't open the tailgate without opening the hatch. I may be mis-remembering though.
    My 2005 Wrangler Build Thread

“He who is without oil shall throw the first rod.” -Compressions 8.7:1

Would a truck cap manufacturer be able to fix that. Like Lund or Leer? Kind if like marinas may repair soft tops?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson
    "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

So, I jumped on the cragslist, and facebook sale groups in my area last night looking for a hatch for a CJ7 hard top. I figured I could sell my YJ top later to make up for buying one. Hell, I don't even remember how I got sidetracked into looking into tops, when I'm supposed to be buying parts for the front axle... I guess my TBI gave me some ADHD, but it's in my head now.

Never did find one, but I stumbled on something that made me think I may not need a CJ7 hatch... a YJ tub. This was 3 hrs away, but it was in way better shape than the CJ7 tub I went 3 states away to get. With the YJ style tailgate, I can just use my YJ top that came on my CJ, AND not have all those rust holes to fix. There's one issue, the trans tunnel has a little section missing because he was running a 700 HP big block Ford, C6, and 1 tons, but everything else is solid. Oh, and the glass is cracked in the windshield, but I have a 2 CJ windshields.

Talked to the guy, and he took it off the frame last night. I went down today and picked it up, along with the gas tank, since it feeds from the drivers side. Got the roll bar, power brake upgrade... and the chance to take apart, and clean a tub all over again.

Now I will be selling my CJ7 tub, and some associated parts to help offset what I just spent. (new kitchen roof money) In the end, I thing this will work out a lot better. I suppose I could still use the freebie CJ hard top. Seeing as the hatch is FUBAR, I could take it off, and the side glass out, and have a hard bikini top for the summer. Gotta have my shade.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryMason View Post
    Free hardtop? That rocks

If memory serves, I ran a YJ hardtop on my CJ for years. I can't really remember, but I think it worked OK, I just couldn't open the tailgate without opening the hatch. I may be mis-remembering though.
    You have to crawl inside and lower the tailgate first, in order to raise the hatch. Big PITA. Espcially for a fat old half cripple.

Quote Originally Posted by JPNinPA View Post
    Would a truck cap manufacturer be able to fix that. Like Lund or Leer? Kind if like marinas may repair soft tops?

I'm sure they could, but since this isn't a high class restoration, I'm not gonna sweat it that bad. I'll either sell it, or red-neck repair it.

I'm still missing 1 seal, and 1 race, (both on order) and the rotors are still getting new studs pressed in, but I've just about got what I need to reassemble the main axle. I ran out of money, so no new brake pads or calipers... yet. Not like I'm going anywhere in it soon. Down in the back pretty bad though right now, so probably take some time off before I get to cleaning, and prepping the housing anyway.

Well, still waiting... A friend who has set up gears before is going to show me how to do it, but he's been working a lot of hrs these days, so the axles hasn't been put back together as of yet. I have decided to spend some time working on the new tub. Looked real nice online... Looked good when I went to pick it up too.

Now keep in mind, when I say "good" I mean "not rusted all to hell". It was, however, used as a mud toy. An open top... mud toy. Yeah, it's gonna take some cleaning...

This thing has so much mud in it, I was finding mud inside the windshield frame all around the wiper arms... In fact, I found 2 Bic lighters in there, and one still worked.

On the plus side, the tub has been bed lined, so it's in good shape for the most part.

Oh, by the way, I also had to fix the trailer too. Got home with the tub, and discovered this... Lucky I made it home...

Next up. Lets see if I can make the old doors fit.

They do, sort of.

Bit of a gap at the front...

Not gonna be rain tight... Great, now I have to mess with those stupid star drive door hinge screws. Broke 2 bits so far...

I've used this old B&D Workmate as a portable work station, but it's not really the best solution. A bit too low, doesn't roll around, fluids soak in the top.

Found this cool steel table in the facebook classifieds that holds storage bins. It only came with 6 bins, but I had a bunch, so good deal for me.

This bad boy should come in real handy.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post

Oh, by the way, I also had to fix the trailer too. Got home with the tub, and discovered this... Lucky I made it home...

What am I looking at here? Is that the axle pushing it's way out of the trailer? I never knew that was something I should worry about, but I'll get started immediately.
    My 2005 Wrangler Build Thread

“He who is without oil shall throw the first rod.” -Compressions 8.7:1

My 0 CJ7 build-img_1027.jpg
    This had to be fun!

"Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

Page 6 of 6 First ... 456