Strange Lighting problem for 99 cherokee

m.nackity

the other day i turned on my headlights and next thing you know the parking lights, and interior gages stay on at all times now, even when the car is turned off and lights turned off. the only way to make it seem that the lights are off is to turn the dimmer control all the way down. The problem is that it drains my battery every time i park it for more than 3 hours so i have to disconnect the negative from the battery to save it. i have replaced the headlight switch thinking there was a short and that helped none. the funny thing is why would the parking lights be dimmed by the dimmer control for the interior gages? fuses are good and connected and battery and alternator are working fine as well.

if anyone could help that would be great. cause i have no idea.

Update: i have found a way to get rid of my parking light problem. i have taken out the #5 fuse. its the fuse for the instrument panel. the parking lights turned off but now the instrument panel lights are staying on. again even when the car is turned off and even when the instrument panel fuse is pulled and even when the headlight switch / dimmer control is completely unplugged.

again thanks for the help.

seems like the Black and yellow wire coming out of your headlamp switch is not cutting off the battery voltage when its switched off. pull out your headlamp switch and disconnect the harness connector from it and see what happens. if it shuts off then the problem is in the switch, if not, there is a short to voltage on the harness somewhere.the key here is the Black with yellow wire.pin 9 of the connector.

Back