Replacing my subwoofer

gblackwo

I drive a 97' Sahara. I've replaced my headunit, and speakers years ago. Just recently my jeep got caught in a freak rainstorm that dropped about 3 inches in 10 minutes and gave my Kenwood Woox (KSC-WA62RC) a swim. So I fried the sub, which I could have prevented if I had a relay on the power cable.

So I am looking at the Kenwood (KSC-WD250T), which is another powered unit. If I had more time, I might consider doing the rear seat mod. This time I will be installing a relay on the power cable so there will be no current through the unit when the ignition is off. This would have saved my Woox.

So, this is a ported enclosure and the port happens to be on top of the box facing upwards- has anyone ever heard of or seen anyone use a shield for the port that doesn't restrict airflow but blocks rain? I'm just trying to prevent any further water related subwoofer injuries.

Any tips would be appreciated. I am currently trying to ascertain the actual dimensions of the enclosure to find out if it will fit between the rear seat and the tailgate. I'm going with the powered enclosure not because i'm afraid to get my hands dirty, but it makes things pretty convenient to move around when I need the trunk space.

Any alternative enclosures you guys like that are modular? Any ideas for me?

Edit: Ok I have dimensions from the retailer: 17.25" W X 14.5" H, Bottom Depth= 9" and Top Depth is about 5" (the person measuring said they added some leeway on the Top Depth dimension to compensate for the grill which protrudes a bit.) So yes, it will fit with room to spare.

Last edited:

Something like this would protect a sub from the occasional shower I would think and are made to mount behind the rear seat.
66844th-2.jpg

Others here.

I just installed that. It is awesome. it bolts right down, if someone wanted to steal it they would have to take the entire jeep.

Is there any way to mount it so the port is not facing up? that would be ideal. I would think it would be hard to get something to block it...since it'd have to be pretty far away from the port so it wouldn't mess with the sound too bad. And at that point any rain coming in sideways at all would go right in.

i read an article about a guy who installed marine stereo products in his jeep. He got a subwoofer, head unit and amplifier from crutchfield. The plus side is there completely water proof and they sound the same as regular equipment. I am definitely investing after the winter.

I am a bit of an audiophile. I wouldn't go as far as to say that the marine equipment sounds the same as the normal gear. It's a great idea though for those who plan on regularly getting their jeep wet.

just mount the thing upside down! we do it at the shop all the time.space it up from the floor as far as possible and it won't affect the sound much at all! if anything it will feel like it is hitting harder since the bass has something to bounce off.as far as the marine stuff yes the head unit will function the same but will cost twice as much,and the marine amp is the same way(as well as handle heat much better,as far as the speakers there are companys out there that offer water proof car audio speakers that sound great(arc audio makes a foos series that sound great and even come with stainless steel grilles)they are totally water proof and come in any size that you need.

I did get the Kenwood KSC-WD250T installed. Sounds great- it certainly isn't for those who want earth shaking bass, but for someone like me looking for good quality sound, it does the trick.

Back