power window problems

derreckjett

I have a 94 grand cherokee with power windows that has one window that will go up. I replaced the motor thinking that would be the obvious fix only to find that the problem persists. If I swap the leads to the motor and press the switch to roll the window down it will go up but that is the only way. Any suggestions on what the issue might be? Thanks!

You have just performed a quick diagnostic verification of the concern. You just took a wrong turn after the test. If the motor has a good continuity going up(Counter or Counterclockwise ) , then the motor is verifiably good. If after swapping(Reversing) the polarity of the motor circuit , and the window responded to the oposite direction , then you know that the circuit on the switch is only good on one side. It's either you have a problem with the switch or the wiring. Since it's good on going UP, i would say that the Ground and Positive is good going up but not on the reverse polarity, meaning, the positive side of the down position is open or shorted. Do you by chance have a Multimeter?

From the left (Driver) rear door switch, test the following circuits for battery voltage with a multimeter. Dark green/ white and ground (up), gray/black and ground(down). You will need help from someone to actuate the master switch on the driver front as you perform the test. If both circuits are good, replace the switch. If not, remove the rubber insulator between the door and the pillar. Check the wires in that loom for chaffed, severed or open short.

Back