When the lights go out in the city

ZJP

Hi, that's a Journey reference in the title. :shades: I have a 96 ZJ and when I bought it it didn't have any courtesy lights. I finally received my repair manual and found the fuse box. The fuse was missing so I put one in and the lights came on, and on. They won't go out. I'm guessing it's a relay of some sorts. I was hopping one of my betters here on the forum could help me out. So what do you chaps have to say on the subject? No unkind remarks please.

OK here are a couple of options:

1. Check your headlight switch and make sure it's not clicked in the fully anticlockwise position (this turns on interior lights).
  2. There is a dashboard illumination switch that controls the brightness. If it is pushed up fully, the interior lights will stay on. Lower the switch slightly until the interior lights go off. When doors are closed, if the switch is lowered, the lights should go off after about 30 seconds max, maybe less.
  3. Check the door jam switch on each door. The switch is located at the bottom of the door opposite the hinge. The switch is used to tell the car that the door was unlocked and to turn on the lights. If you pull back the door cover on the bottom (You do not need to remove the cover completely) and pull back that plastic you will see the plug for the switch down in that bottom corner. Just unplug one switch and try closing and locking the doors. If the lights still don't go off try unplugging the other switch and doing the same.
Don't stop believin and you'll be able to fix those lights any way you want it.

Thanks for your wisdom. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. A couple of things that came to me after I posted this. The rear lift gate mechanism is off. I will have the replacement in a couple of days. I looked closely at the rear lift gate and could not find a switch. I looked in the repair manual and couldn't find it either. I know it's in there. I just haven't found it yet. Dose anybody know ware the lift gate switch is located? Once I find it I am going to do the one switch at a time method. When I have the fuse in the dimmer switch has no effect on the courtesy lights. It dims the dash and overhead counsel.

1. Check your headlight switch and make sure it's not clicked in the fully anticlockwise position (this turns on interior lights).
  2. There is a dashboard illumination switch that controls the brightness. If it is pushed up fully, the interior lights will stay on. Lower the switch slightly until the interior lights go off. When doors are closed, if the switch is lowered, the lights should go off after about 30 seconds max, maybe less.
  3. Check the door jam switch on each door. The switch is located at the bottom of the door opposite the hinge. The switch is used to tell the car that the door was unlocked and to turn on the lights. If you pull back the door cover on the bottom (You do not need to remove the cover completely) and pull back that plastic you will see the plug for the switch down in that bottom corner. Just unplug one switch and try closing and locking the doors. If the lights still don't go off try unplugging the other switch and doing the same.

The liftgate switch is located in the liftgate latch mechanism. it's a micro switch trigered by a cam lever when the latch is actuated open or closed.

Thanks for the post. Ill have the new latch in a couple of days. Meanwhile Ill play with the old one to see if I can get it in to position. Are the wires going to the latch for the micro switch? If so I can just use a jumper to close the circuit.

The liftgate switch is located in the liftgate latch mechanism. it's a micro switch trigered by a cam lever when the latch is actuated open or closed.

If I remember correctly, if you jump the 2 wires on the latch switch it should close the circuit and should turn on the dome lamps. Or it's the other wY around. I'm not in a position to verify that yet since my wife hid both of my laptops while I'm recovering from my surgery from last week. Hence I'm using my iPhone right now while she's asleep. Haha. Try it both ways and see what results you get.

You get the die hard award for that effort!

If I remember correctly, if you jump the 2 wires on the latch switch it should close the circuit and should turn on the dome lamps. Or it's the other wY around. I'm not in a position to verify that yet since my wife hid both of my laptops while I'm recovering from my surgery from last week. Hence I'm using my iPhone right now while she's asleep. Haha. Try it both ways and see what results you get.

I checked the door switches with an ohm meter as well as the one at a time technique. My dash switch only has three positions. On, parking light and off. The dimmer works on the dash only. Do you think that is the culprit? Do you know if there is some type of relay connected in the circuit? Any other ideas? This is past the point of being interesting. Thanks

I knew there was a reason I hate electrical :D

Sounds like it might be time to trace all the wiring, if you haven't already. Start at one side and trace it back to the relay. Look for frayed wire that could be shorted and any switches. The switches the PO may have put in to control the light remotely. Also does your rig have a timer on the light that could be bad? My lights dim and go out after some time of door closure or time on.

Last edited:
On all jeep door latches (discovered from trial/error)
I have found that if you disconnect the plug from the
Switch it will turn off some light.
If your done lights are still in then your headlight
control switch needs to be checked if this doesn't fix
it means that you have a broken wire somewhere and it
is shorting out and making your lights come on.

Back