CB Antenna

Josh95YJ

I am trying to find the best place to mount a cb antenna on my 95 YJ. I was also wondering if there is a such thing as a universal antenna to work with both stereo and cb. I was thinking of mounting the antenna on the spare tire stop...any other suggestions please let me know..Thanks

I am trying to find the best place to mount a cb antenna on my 95 YJ. I was also wondering if there is a such thing as a universal antenna to work with both stereo and cb. I was thinking of mounting the antenna on the spare tire stop...any other suggestions please let me know..Thanks

Look at this site for some advice. In general as long as 2/3 of the antenna is above the roof you will get the best reception. I have mine on the front windshield mount for KC spotlights. Just behind the light. It works well enough for me. Many mount it on the spare like you are thinking and many people use the rear blinker bracket.
As for the universal antenna, there is such thing but I read most wouldn't be happy with it for either the radio or CB.

Last edited:
Do not buy the amfm/cb antenna you will hate it. Reception is poor at best and transmission is horrid at best.

I have a simple whip CB antenna mounted on the spare tire stop. I cut a notch in the tail light housing. The cable runs up behind it. The antenna is a few inches taller than the hard top. I don't care how good the reception is. I only use the CB on the trail.

Attachments

• cb01.jpg
    cb01.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 10,109
Sorry I have not responded lately on the advice from you guys but I had a major surgery two weeks ago had a colostomy surgery a foot of colon removed had about ab hour till I took a permanent nap lol.....I know T.M.I....can finally drive my Jeep again though....anyway thanks I am not going the route for the universal antenna, mounting on the back of the spare tire stop may be where I'm going. I was picturing running the antenna wiring under the frame through the drain plug holes under my console (it's the one from quadratec that houses the kenwood receiver) wiring it to the cigarette lighter and then mounting it where the ash tray was......I think it may work?

Sorry I have not responded lately on the advice from you guys but I had a major surgery two weeks ago had a colostomy surgery a foot of colon removed had about ab hour till I took a permanent nap lol.....I know T.M.I....can finally drive my Jeep again though....anyway thanks I am not going the route for the universal antenna, mounting on the back of the spare tire stop may be where I'm going. I was picturing running the antenna wiring under the frame through the drain plug holes under my console (it's the one from quadratec that houses the kenwood receiver) wiring it to the cigarette lighter and then mounting it where the ash tray was......I think it may work?

Wow Well I would never have guessed that!!
As far as the CB. Mount the CB where you like. There is a post out there with images where some mounted them, if your interested. May be others will chime in on wiring it on the door and dealing withthe hinge.
When you do run the antenna cabling be sure to keep any sharp bends, crimps or loops out of the cable. Treat it like it's made of glass. If you are going through drain plugs use a grommet. I stress caution because the tune of the antenna system will change if you crimp pinch stretch the cable. Too much and you could end with a short, open or poor SWR, killing the radio over time.

Well Maybe thats why my lil radio is not putting out. I have a aluminum clamp style mount ( Basic mirror mount ) its clamped to my rear tail light gaurds with a small ground wire from mounting bracket to small screw that holds the channel lip for rear soft top window. Its wierd at day time I hear all kinds of other CB ers and once in a great while I will catch someone for a radio check and come to find out there 10-20 is only a couple blocks away. My antenna is 4ft and looks like a firestik, but its a off brand. I do run the coax from the antenna mount thru and behind the tail light gaurd and does have a a couple of tight bends in it. I dont know why my radio dont work to optimum level. I once was told I had to much power going to it. It is basically wired to a secondary fuse box, that runs all my off road lights. That fuse panel is directly wired from battery. Do not need key on for my radio on or my off road lights on. Should I rewire to the jeeps factory fuse box ? Should I bolt antenna bracket else where. Maybe get the teraflex antenna mount ? Need help or some input/opinion. Happy Wheeling Thanks

First some facts:

By regulation all cb radios max output can be no more than 4W. Some do illegal modifications to get more. It's illegal. Others do peaks and tunes. These often do more harm than good to a radio.

Second the most important check of the radio is SWR. Internal meters are not often goo and only tell if you have a bad issue. A $20 meter usually could measure SWR and power output. SWR needs to be less than 2. The closer to 1. The better. Check SWR in an open area like a mall parking lot away from the building.

Third is distance is limited by line of sight. Buildings, Forrest, mountains, and large metal objects inhibit the signal. Many conversations you hear during the day are SKIP. This is when the signal bounces off the stratosphere. It isn't controlled and your receive isn't limited to what signal it receives. I could hear conversations a state or two away at times.

So having said this what is your SWR on 1, 19, and 40?

Find more facts on firestick tech website.

First some facts:

By regulation all cb radios max output can be no more than 4W. Some do illegal modifications to get more. It's illegal. Others do peaks and tunes. These often do more harm than good to a radio.

Second the most important check of the radio is SWR. Internal meters are not often goo and only tell if you have a bad issue. A $20 meter usually could measure SWR and power output. SWR needs to be less than 2. The closer to 1. The better. Check SWR in an open area like a mall parking lot away from the building.

Third is distance is limited by line of sight. Buildings, Forrest, mountains, and large metal objects inhibit the signal. Many conversations you hear during the day are SKIP. This is when the signal bounces off the stratosphere. It isn't controlled and your receive isn't limited to what signal it receives. I could hear conversations a state or two away at times.

So having said this what is your SWR on 1, 19, and 40?

Find more facts on firestick tech website.

Sounds like alot of good info, I am no expert at all in CBs. Nope I do not know how to tweet for more power to CB radio it self. What I meant by to much power is, is there a difference in power source hook up compared to connecting directly to battery vs connecting power source to fuse box ? I thank you so much for all that info. O one more question, is it ok if my antenna is angled forward a bit. It is about a foot and a half above roof line. That angle is about 5 degrees foward towards the front of my rig. Thanks

The small angle should not matter. Your antenna sways as you move anyway. The power is best from the battery as it is the cleanest with little introduced circuit noise. Many have luck running it from the fuse block.

The small angle should not matter. Your antenna sways as you move anyway. The power is best from the battery as it is the cleanest with little introduced circuit noise. Many have luck running it from the fuse block.

Thanks I believe I will try to run from factory fuse box. Thanks

Back