TJ tail light problem

prariepunk

So, I was helping (doing most of the work) my buddy do pads & rotors on his '97 XJ & we had JUST gotten back from the parts store when I noticed that my right rear turn signal was out. Well lucky me (or so I thought), I had the bulb in my "Jeep Box" in the back... I opened the housing & the bulb on the bottom was black so I pulled it & put the new one in... it's still not working :???: So I was wondering, has anybody had this problem before? I was thinking about getting the red LED tail lights & mounting some aux back up lights... but I stink :bomb: at electrical fixes.... HELP PLEASE!

I have had no luck with bulbs I keep in my jeep. Check for power and ground with a test light. Check for corrosion and melted wires or connector. Quite often a bulb just rolling around in a tool box will break a filament but look ok.

I had it in the original pack (2pk.) it came in & I used the other one & this one was in the top part of the box secured & not rolling around

I had a similar problem with my 98 wrangler. it was a combination of problems. My taillight connection ends to the bulb were borrowed. I traced it with my multimeter and found a connection block was also corroded. Worst issue was with my switch and a horrible hack job by the last owner.

Is the right marker and brake working and not the blinker? Or none of them work?

If you have and know how to use a multimeter check the voltage at the socket. If no voltage, check continuity between each contact and ground. Only one should be grounded. If both you have a short. If none, you need to re establish the ground at this signal.

Bad grounds and corrosion are second to bad splice jobs for accessories like towing harnesses.

I have a multimeter but don't know how to use it :eek: Nothing is working from the rear right side: no brake light, back up light, hazard light or turn signal.

Theirs 2 bulbs one is for reverse and other is for lights,directional,and brakes
one bulb is 1157 other is 1156

1157 has 2 electrodes on bottom 1156 has 1 electrode

another thing is check your ground wires to light it may be broke or loose

it's a connector problem in the wiring... a connection is all corroded & garbage... I'm thinking of just taking out the stock housing & adding 2 round red LED lights & a white one for back up's on each side...

Back