'05 TJ X fog light wiring

prariepunk

I searched but found no conclusive answers :( I have an '05 TJ X with out factory fogs... got a fog light switch from eBay but how do I wire them up? What do I connect to? I have 2 6" (non factory) fog lights up front now & have 4 more that are waiting to be installed. For the 2 up front I'd like to use the switch I got from eBay & use another switch (YTBD) for the others. I also have plans to mount some in bumper waterproof fogs in the rear for back up lights with the round led tail lights. But HOW do I wire in the front fogs? PLEASE HELP!

First id like to warn you that I am in no way an electrical guru...now with that out of the way, I can tell you how mine are set up. Each of the front ones are grounded on either side on the same ground as the headlights. The power wire is run along side of the headlight power wire through the firewall, and then goes into the fuse box. You can either plug them into an empty slot, or one that's being used. I don't think it really matters, but from there they run to the switch. I think (and im not really sure here) after that it goes back to the other side of the slot that you used on the fuse box to complete the circuit. Ill make sure about the last part in little bit here and let you know.

Run a relay for each pair of lights. Otherwise you will burn up your switch and possibly your rig. Run a ground side switch that way you don't have live power in the cab and your relays can be mounted cleanly by the battery.

For the rear back-up lights. What wattage? It's possible if they are 50W you could use the wiring from the existing back up light. If not use that wire for the signal to a relay in the following link.
For the additional fog lights you could use the method in diagram found here on the KC website.
For the switch. Many say the multi function switch often fails. I'd use the same method as above. If not I'll post a link to the wiring diagram if I could find it.

Watch your total amperage going through the switch. If you exceed what a stock set of headlights will draw, then you need to change course and go with a relay.

Wire the lights to the relay, and the relay to the battery, with an appropriate fuse between the battery and relay. Then wire the switch to the relay. What this does is use the low amperage switch to control the relay, and then the relay directs power to the lights. This set up is similar to what's done for a horn.

Ive got 4 kc daylighter 100w long distance lights and ive got them wired similar to tjlboise, except i have in-line fuses. I do not have them wired to a relay. Im not sure what the relay does specifically. Could somebody explain that? And i like the idea of a ground side switch so no live wires are in cab. But my switches came with the lights, and have leds on them so require power (not require for switch and lights to work, just for led to work) i just went with the diagram that came with the lights. Grounded each light right next to the light itself with the supplied self tapper pan head, ran the positive wires to eachother, then to the switch. Ran the load wire off the switch to the in line fuse which is near the battery, then to the battery. The switch itself is also grounded. They work like a charm. I also didnt like the mounts it came with so i drilled a hole in the plastic center peice next to the t case shifter.litte cleaner i think, and out of the way. Like tjlboise said tho, im no electric master. So be careful.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110414_132009.png
    ForumRunner_20110414_132009.png
    375 KB · Views: 1,221
  • ForumRunner_20110414_132116.png
    ForumRunner_20110414_132116.png
    340 KB · Views: 1,093

JeepNaked said:
Ive got 4 kc daylighter 100w long distance lights and ive got them wired similar to tjlboise, except i have in-line fuses. I do not have them wired to a relay. Im not sure what the relay does specifically. Could somebody explain that? And i like the idea of a ground side switch so no live wires are in cab. But my switches came with the lights, and have leds on them so require power (not require for switch and lights to work, just for led to work) i just went with the diagram that came with the lights. Grounded each light right next to the light itself with the supplied self tapper pan head, ran the positive wires to eachother, then to the switch. Ran the load wire off the switch to the in line fuse which is near the battery, then to the battery. The switch itself is also grounded. They work like a charm. I also didnt like the mounts it came with so i drilled a hole in the plastic center peice next to the t case shifter.litte cleaner i think, and out of the way. Like tjlboise said tho, im no electric master. So be careful.

I like your set up. It does look a lot cleaner. Good idea on the location there, but speaking of looking cleaner....... you should get together with some wet ones, and have a day in your jeep. ;) Heeheeheeee =P

Actually....now that I think about it, I need to do that too. My coffee gets everywhere in the mornings. Of course, it doesn't really help that I TRY to hit every puddle and bump on my way to work. :)

tjlboise said:
but speaking of looking cleaner....... you should get together with some wet ones, and have a day in your jeep. ;) Heeheeheeee =P

Lol... yaaaaa its a bit over due. Could use a bit of armor all. :)

if i .
I searched but found no conclusive answers :( I have an '05 TJ X with out factory fogs... got a fog light switch from eBay but how do I wire them up? What do I connect to? I have 2 6" (non factory) fog lights up front now & have 4 more that are waiting to be installed. For the 2 up front I'd like to use the switch I got from eBay & use another switch (YTBD) for the others. I also have plans to mount some in bumper waterproof fogs in the rear for back up lights with the round led tail lights. But HOW do I wire in the front fogs? PLEASE HELP!

this is simple first you will need to get shrink tube and a sodering gun .
never crimp all ways soder then shrink tube .
find a hot on the fuse panil run a wier to the 1 side of the switch
mount your lights run the hot to the lights
tie the hot to both hot s on the lights place shrink tube on then soder pull shrink tube over wiers and heat
now thake the other 2 wiers nd tie them to a ground termanl do not crimp soder them in now clean off a spot on the frame and aplye some electolis greas nd put a self taper in to the metal and tighten thegrouns and turn on the lights

I do not have them wired to a relay. Im not sure what the relay does specifically. Could somebody explain that?
Using a relay keeps the high current portion of the circuit away from the switch and pulls the current directly from the battery to your lights. The relay also allows you to tie your lights into a secondary 12-volt circuit such as your high/low beams or ignition.

How it works? There are two circuits that make up a relay. One is the control circuit. The other is the load circuit.
The control circuit is a electro magnet that when you close the switch it energizes the magnet and closes the load side switch. It does this with low power. The load side consists of your battery the load side of the relay and your load (lights, amp, electrical circuit). This is typically high current. By hooking the relay side to an ignition switched source you could be sure your circuit is off when your key is off.

Last edited:

There are standard relays 40A you could use. Just be sure to buy a socket with pigtails. It makes wiring easier. You could find this stuff at auto parts stores or Radio shack.
I mounted mine by drilling a hole in my heatshield for the CAI. And using sheet metal screw thru the hole at the top of the relay to secure it to the heat shield.

Back