Cobra CB

Jeeper99

I was helping my mom move out of her house earlier today and came across an old Cobra 19 Plus that belonged to my late uncle who was a truck driver.

I was thinking of putting this in my Jeep for the trails etc.... since it is a small radio.

Is this an OK CB to be so old? It looks brand New. Heck, it is a freebie, so I figured I would ask. :shades: Also, is there a certain antenna and wiring to hook up with this CB? Thanks guys!

On that same note, I have a cobra 29 classic, which is the design from the 70s (I think), and it is a great little unit. Cobras are built to last, and I think it will do great for what you need.

The Cobra 19 is still made today. It is preferred by many jeepers due to it's smaller size. Do a good job on antenna mount and wire install and you will be happy.
Personally I have a firestick 4'. Had a Wilson 2 ft did a good job as well, just a bit tougher to tune in.
Firestick has a good tec site to help you. But if you have more questions ask.

Thanks for all the input! Of course, when I found the radio, there was no manual. There is 3 wires coming out, black orange and red. Black = ground, Orange says battery+ and where would the red go? A switched 12v?

Thanks for the links and helpful Info! i have read alot of the write-ups, but am still not sure on what kind of cable and mount set-up to get? Are the COAX cables all interchangeable with all radios and Antennas?

Just a shot in the dark, but if you guys get a chance, send me a link to what I should look into getting as far as cable and antenna. This is all new to me, but I would like to get started in it. :) Thanks guys!

If you have a truck stop or a radio shack near by you can pick up a complete antenna and coax kit for about 30 bux all complete..

Thanks for the links and helpful Info! i have read alot of the write-ups, but am still not sure on what kind of cable and mount set-up to get? Are the COAX cables all interchangeable with all radios and Antennas?

Just a shot in the dark, but if you guys get a chance, send me a link to what I should look into getting as far as cable and antenna. This is all new to me, but I would like to get started in it. :) Thanks guys!

There actually is something to antennas and coax wires. They could make a great expensive radio sound and perform like crap. And no not all coax are the same or interchangeable. Use RG-58 or RG-8 that are 50 ohm loads. See link.
I use a Mini 8 (RG8X) due to the flexibility. The flexibility does not mean you could bend sharp 90 deg bends, or crimp the wire in hinges or doors. Take great care when routing the wire. Avoid pinching sharp bends, crimping rubbing on sharp edges, coiling or stretching it.
I also use a firestick tunable 4 ft top load. I used a 2 ft Wilson in the past. good but a bit hard to tune. Both worked well.
The link below is one of many docs. Don't read too much as it could get confusing. Let's Talk Coax!

Use the return to index at teh bottom. Lots of docs.

Last edited:
Tunable antennas do make a huge difference and the size and length and routing does matter, if your running a big radio such as a galaxy or a tunned up cobra with a linear as well as setting your swr's, that all great if your talking a long ways away, but if you have a cobra 19 or a small midland or one of those other small units to talk to the guy 50 feet in front of you none of the above mentioned stuff makes a difference..

, but if you have a cobra 19 or a small midland or one of those other small units to talk to the guy 50 feet in front of you none of the above mentioned stuff makes a difference..

Wait a minute. I'm not sure what you mean by this but if you don't use the correct cabling or tune your antenna you will not have a radio very long. Plus those "little" radios put out 4 Watts just like the big ones as limited by law. Sure for 50 feet with decent line of site (no big metal building in front of you) the difference between a 6 ft tuned antenna and a 2 ft tuned will not make a noticeable difference. But you still have to tune it and mount it in a decent location.

JPNinPA said:
Wait a minute. I'm not sure what you mean by this but if you don't use the correct cabling or tune your antenna you will not have a radio very long. Plus those "little" radios put out 4 Watts just like the big ones as limited by law. Sure for 50 feet with decent line of site (no big metal building in front of you) the difference between a 6 ft tuned antenna and a 2 ft tuned will not make a noticeable difference. But you still have to tune it and mount it in a decent location.

All I'm saying is if your not trying to reach a long distance you can get a universal antenna package at most any truck stop that comes with the antenna and the coax all in one kit, there are tunables and others that are not, I have ran big radios that put out an excess of 400 watts in my trucks over the years where I could reach out for many miles and I have had the smaller less expensive radios with firesticks and francis antennas in my jeeps and my pick up for many years and had great luck with line if sight communication

Back