Weird Stereo Issue

ND2

I'm in the middle of replacing an after-market stereo in my 91 YJ. First I installed two new front dash speakers. I followed some of the instruction I found online and dropped the windshield and pulled the dash apart. Everything went smooth up until I connected the last wire to the back of the stereo. As soon as I made contact, the Jeep lurched forward after the starter kicked in. After putting the car in neutral, and touching the wire again, my jeep started!!! What the hell? I am using a harness to run from the harness adapter to connect the new stereo and am following all color codes and instruction manuals.

Has anyone ever heard of starting the vehicle from the back of your stereo?

Obviously something is seriously wrong.

Sounds like your connecting to the starter trigger wire. If its easy run all new wires to the stereo and speakers. Is that a wire that was hooked to the old stereo ?

Yes, its the same wires that were hooked to the old stereo. With only the black (ground) wire grounded, and no other wires connected, once I connect the two yellows (constant) wires together, the engine starts to turn over. Its crazy. I'm thinking that I may have incidentally screwed the wires up when I pulled the dash back.

To clarify...I meant that I think I may have screwed the wires up near the steering column or somewhere else. The wires to the radio are the same.

Sounds like something got pinched or shorted retrace your steps and you should find it.

Yeah, I guess I have no choice. Looks like I have to start over. Should be fun. Its quite the rats nest behind the dash.

Are you connected into your fuse panel? the remote on wire (normally blue) could be contacting something related to ignition at the fuse panel. Good simple place to start before having to completly undo your work

Back