Amateur Radio - HAM. Is it worth it?

RockOn93

After reading Terry' posts on cb radios and antennas, I thought would seek some feedback on this...

For the past several months I have been kicking around the idea of obtaining an Amateur Radio License and installing a HAM radio in my Jeep. Having one in your rig doesn't seem to be a popular addition with the Jeepers or anyone else I know... In fact I only know of 1 person who is equipped with one. It seems to me that there would be some distinct advantages to having this capability but maybe there isn't enough benefit to invest the money or time. Anyone have any experience or a perspective on this?

I have two friends that are into it. they don't have it on their rigs just at their home. telephones and email seem to be easier and cheaper.

I run a VHF in my jeep as does my hunting partner, we have some repeaters around here used for logging, so we can get a long range out of them here.

I think I am going to pursue it. Even the benefit to my wheelin trip is great, living in south Florida under the threat of hurricanes it can't hurt to another communication source. In years past i have certainly had to deal with o cell service post hurricane.

I am a Skywarn spotter, and some run Ham for that reason. I stick with my phone. runnin out of room in the jeep.

I'm in the process of studying now. I picked up the book... It's a tough read. So hopefully in a few weeks I will get through it and be ready for the technician test.

Back