HD radio

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking about upgrading my head unit to one that has HD radio. I mainly listen to talk radio (yeah, I'm that old) and am tired of hearing fuzzy static.

Does HD radio sound much better than analog? Also, is the reception as good as, or better?

I can't comment on HD radio as I've never heard one. Is it still popular? I remember when it came out people talking about it being the next great thing but I haven't heard much about it in the last few years. But then again, I haven't listened to an over the air radio station at all in the past year and the 3-4 years before that I was about 50/50 over the air and satellite radio. In Memphis there are NO stations worth listening to so when we moved back here I just keep my radio on satellite or streaming from my iphone. I can recommend satellite and they have a bunch of talk stations for old people like yourself. :D (I'm pretty sure I'm older than you)

My wife's got XM, and I like it, but I also like listening to my local radio as well - traffic, local news, etc. I wasn't sure if HD had died or not, but I hear my local channel advertise that they broadcast in HD, and when I went looking on crutchfield, most of the new stereos come with HD.

Another option would be to bet a radio with bluetooth / android controls and stream from my phone. My current head unit only does wired Ipods.

The unit I have in my jeep was audio plug USB(ipod plug) and Bluetooth i don't know if its HD radio. I will however recommend XM radio. It was really clear when i had it in the Camaro. plus there are rarely any commercials on it. Down side you have to pay for it. HD radio kinda died after XM came out. For you I would recommend XM. Listen to howard stern he's funny.

Most radio station converted to digital like the tv stations. This IS their so called HD. Which is fine as long as its not constantly switching from regular to hd and back and forth every twenty FREAKING seconds. XM is fine except for the cost. Then there is pandora or other internet radios that you can channel through your phone (as long as u have unlimited data this is awesome).

There are a ton of options. As always go with your wallet. HD radio is free, XM is subscription based, but you can haggle ( use the free six month then try to cancel and they give you great deals). Internet radio included in the phone bills.....

I am on a internet radio kick. For now.

Well bad thing about pandora is you only get 40FREE HOURS. After that you have to pay until the next month comes around. :-( IT'S THE APOCALYPSE!!! Thank god we have jeeps xD

Yeah that was soooo awesome when i heard that.. There others out there just as good or an mp3 player will do. Maybe even go old school and make a mixed cd......lol

I ordered a new deck last night - a JVC. I'm pretty excited about it.

I'll report back on if the HD is a big improvement over FM. I have a feeling the addition of bluetooth and android controls will make the upgrade worthwhile.

New guy checking in, this is my first post.

Don't waste your money on HD Radio. I work for an 8 station cluster of Clear Channel radio stations. We have HD streams. The problem with HD Radio is it's digital and, by FCC rule, the transmitter power output is much less. You're fine in the city but out in the sticks, where Jeeps like to live, you'll have a hard time hearing anything worth listening to. I love 60 miles from our transmitters and I can't hear any of HD stations. The only people I know that listen to our HD stations are our program directors with receivers in their offices.

Being digital, it's like DirecTV or Dish. When it rains the satellite tv signal is shadowed by the rain drops. It's either crystal clear or unwatchable trash, there's no in between. No static, no fading, it's either 100% or nothing. HD Radio is the same.

If you want premium radio then SiriusXM is going to be your choice. Or get a stereo that has Bluetooth and use your iPhone/iPod/Android for music. I do that too.

I've been a Sirius subscriber for about 10 years now. My main reason for paying for radio is the lack of commercials. I write and produce radio commercials for a living... the last thing I want to hear on my 63 mile drove home is more commercials.

Thanks ae5dw

I went ahead and bought a JVC that has HD built in. I do like the HD (there is a noticeable difference in sound quality), but like you said it doesn't seem to have much range. I drive down the highway and can hear the HD cutting in and out (and I can see this on my display). Luckily my head unit just downgrades to regular FM without any pause in sound - it's like going back and forth between CD quality and FM quality.

My overall impression is that I like HD radio, but it's not worth spending money to get. Now, the integrated bluetooth that allows my phone to play out my speakers is another story. I love that.

I knew I was a little late to the party but still wanted to add my input. Hope you enjoy it!

Don

Back