need to know what each wire goes to from the turn signal cancel cam 1989 Jeep Cheroke

throatgorge

I'm trying to install a universal aftermarket turn signal on my 1989 Jeep Cherokee, and even though I have a factory technical manual I can not find the information I need. It seems like every single electrical connector except the turn signal cancel cam is detailed, and the schematic does not show one wire at all and follows most of the others off the page, so I only get a vague clue what these wires go to.
First, there is a light green and white and a salmon and white wire going to two brass contacts on the cam, but I do not think they are part of the turn signal circuits.
Running into the mechanism that makes contacts for the switches are:
a white wire
a black wire
a brown wire (hot)
a dark blue wire
a light blue wire
a dark green wire
a yellow wire
I need to know where these wires go to!
The universal turn signal switch has wires that are supposed to run to:
a hot wire coming from the stop lamp circuit
the front left turn lamp
the rear left turn lamp
the front right turn lamp
the rear right turn lamp
the flasher

I'm guessing one of those wires is for the horn. Anyway, I sure hope someone can tell me what those seven or nine wires (If it turns out the wires that go to separate contacts are needed) are for.
It really boggles my mind that I can't find this information in a factory manual.

I don't know if my post will be of any help , but searching through my 1992 FSM in the wiring diagram section 8W . I don't think our sheet number and page numbers will agree either but if you can locate , if you haven't already , "STEERING COLUMN CONNECTOR 11 WAY" in the MJ-XJ section , there is a table that lists cavity location for the plugs which is helpful to actually locate a wire in question and color coded which is helpful to by description which will refer you to what sheet for a wiring diagram if need be. But it looks like this table will be helpful enough as you are just trying to match the existing wires from the factory switch to the after market. Once you know where the wire for what circuit is on the column , your aftermarket paperwork will tell where to connect for the same circuit. I know my description is bland for your need but if your able to find this page in your FSM , I think this will help you greatly. I am seeing stop lamp , Right & Left , Front & Rear turn signal indicator(dash) , flasher, horn, courtesy lamp(dome), & ignition key warning switch. See if these items are mentioned on the aftermarket sheet .
Since my jeep is Chrysler and yours is AMC , there is possibly or definately a difference in wiring color code but as previously stated in my post if you can find such a sheet , I feel it will be helpful to locate the correct wires for each circuit. I understand your frustration in trying to find these items in the factory manual , I go through it myself sometimes. We must learn to properly define a circuit and system ourselves without a college degree or ASE certification. But the information is there and it is most certainly up to us to find it. If we can accomplish that , these FSJ's really are good for something more than collecting fingerprints. Really hope this helps and and that the job goes well too . Greg

It is most certain my wiring is partial to GM and yours dosen't seem to follow in terms of color code so it seems you'll have to find this table I spoke of in my previous post to correctly identify the correct wires by color . I'm certain the manual must be written in the same format as mine if nothing else is consistent , this format must be. I'm certain there will be a diagram of a pictured harness plug identifying the wires from your turn signal cam to the lower column.

Thank you-- that was the first thing I tried, but the wires that actually go into the connectors on the cam are completely different colors than the ones on the 11 way steering column connector.

I think in this case , we cannot go by color codes to match from the aftermarket part to the factory harness , so as long as we know which wires are for what light or the horn or four-way flashers from the aftermarket part, you should be able to mate them up with the correct factory harness. Trusting that the aftermarket company supplied a good diagram that tells what wire , regardless of color , is for what function and we would just have to match it to the factory harness for that function. For example ; if the blue wire from the aftermarket part is for right turn signal , the we would just match it up to the factory harness for the right turn signal if it were not blue. At this point , matching color is irrelevant , we just need to mate the right turn signal wire for the aftermarket part to the right turn signal wire of the factory harness . Hope I did not further complicated this in my explanation . The key is your FSM to tell what each wire in the 11 way connector is so you may match and mate those to the aftermarket part. Make temporary connections first to verify that the right wires are in fact connected. Once confirmed , you can make your permanent connections. Really hope this helps and sorry if I did over complicate this .
hoping for success for your project . Greg

Back