Unsolvable e-brake wiring

Dags

2003 jeep wrangler.
The brake dash light will not light. The light and buzzer also do not operate if the jeep is in motion with the e-brake pulled. The ((P)) e-brake light does light up with the onset of key turn and with self dash electrical test. I have replaced the e-brake switch ( old one still was good I tested via continuity test) the grey/blk wire I've traced up to just past shifter area then it gets lost in an bundle.....continuity good. Where does the wire go to? Connector?
i read somewhere that it is part of computer to do to it being involved with the wheel sensors/motion etc.
All other lights and gauges work ( other than I pulled the relay for the fog lights as the multi switch lever wouldn't shut the off....like other have experienced)
No wiring has been altered, no trailer wiring.
Dealer can't explain it.
I would appreciate any help, diagrams and experience to resolve this issue......
thank you.

2003 jeep wrangler. The brake dash light will not light. The light and buzzer also do not operate if the jeep is in motion with the e-brake pulled. The ((P)) e-brake light does light up with the onset of key turn and with self dash electrical test. I have replaced the e-brake switch ( old one still was good I tested via continuity test) the grey/blk wire I've traced up to just past shifter area then it gets lost in an bundle.....continuity good. Where does the wire go to? Connector? i read somewhere that it is part of computer to do to it being involved with the wheel sensors/motion etc. All other lights and gauges work ( other than I pulled the relay for the fog lights as the multi switch lever wouldn't shut the off....like other have experienced) No wiring has been altered, no trailer wiring. Dealer can't explain it. I would appreciate any help, diagrams and experience to resolve this issue...... thank you.

From the cluster, connector 2 pin 9 , gray/white wire goes to the brake warning indicator switch. The circuit color changes to gray/black after the brake warning indicator going to the parking brake switch. The brake warning indicator switch is attached to the HCU, Hydraulic Control Unit A.K.A ABS unit. Once. You've traced the wire starting from the cluster, ground the circuit to test as you go further towards the emergency brake lever switch. The red light should light up each time you ground the circuit , if not, there's a break in the continuity. Trace the wire back and see where the wire is broken.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz

From the cluster, connector 2 pin 9 , gray/white wire goes to the brake warning indicator switch. The circuit color changes to gray/black after the brake warning indicator going to the parking brake switch. The brake warning indicator switch is attached to the HCU, Hydraulic Control Unit A.K.A ABS unit. Once. You've traced the wire starting from the cluster, ground the circuit to test as you go further towards the emergency brake lever switch. The red light should light up each time you ground the circuit , if not, there's a break in the continuity. Trace the wire back and see where the wire is broken.

thanks a bunch steelheadz...I will try what you suggested. I was running out of options. I assume I have to leave the power hooked up and not disconnect the battery negative in order to test. Any precautions as I test with power on?
Exactly where is the abs/hcu unit located? What does it look like? The jeep is a new vehicle to me after working on other only other manufacturers.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I just looked at the printout that the dealer gave me on the jeep...it was a used unit purchased privately. According to the build sheet it just has power front brakes and rears, no abs listed. Does the change the testing you suggested?
thanks again, much appreciated.[/FONT]

Under the brake master cylinder on the steel lines is a pressure differential valve with a wire going to it. If you ground that wire the brake light in the dash will come on unless the bulb is burnt out or someone has tampered with the wiring.

Yes, Carnuck is correct. If your jeep is not equipped with an ABS system , the proportioning valve will have that switch instead of the HCU.

Yes, Carnuck is correct. If your jeep is not equipped with an ABS system , the proportioning valve will have that switch instead of the HCU.

Thanks guys. Problem solved. Double fault as there was a break in the wiring behind dash and a poor ground at ebrake lever assembly. All 100 %. Thanks again.

Back