Installed new solenoid and ..... hmmm

Turbogus

I had a no start issue with the Echlin solenoid that'd been on 'Black Betty' from the PO. I ran down the diagnostics in my FSM and detirmined that I had a faultly solenoid.
It took some doing to get on account of NAPA's difficulty in getting S.O. parts from outside resources and a delay at the NAPA local warehouse but I finally got a Standard starter solenoid. (As in Standard Motor Products and the Blue Streak line of old)
Upon removing the Echlin solenoid I immediatly saw what was going on.
The contact case seems to be made of aluminum and it was oxidized, and it was bolted to the painted inner fender skirt. What this means is the ground was only via the small bolts holding the thing on
frown-1.gif

No wonder it failed.
So I took my wire brush attachment to my drill (after moving the wiring out of the way) and had at the patch where the solenoid makes contact. I then applied some dielectric grease to stave off oxidation for the time being.
Opening the package for the SMP solenoid I was dismayed to see they are now being made in China. This, despite my online reseach pointing to manufacture in Ohio, as I recall. Nevertheless this solenoids' contact was solid copper lending to continity for this circuit way better than it's predessor.

14441103089_125d08f485_z-1.jpg

In mounting the SMP solenoid I dropped one of the wire brushed and coated bolts (go figure) and it dissapeared into the ether. If I can't find these stubby tapered bolts at NAPA I've got a pair too long in my spares I may have to modify with my bench grinder.
I got some external star washers and some self threading 1/4" bolts but on this go I tied some white thread to the bolts with a slipknot, so if I dropped 'em again I could easily find and retrieve 'em. I reconnected the battery and it arched.

wol_error-1.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.
SS581_CONNECTORJPG-1.jpg

So I took my trusty rubber mallet and beat on the solenoid for a bit and tried again, no arching. Putting everything back together, tried the key and I could hear the starter running and running even after I shut off the key, so I beat the solenoid with the mallet again (starter stopped) and removed the joined S and I wiring. Hit the key again and there shouldn't have been anything and there wasn't, reconnected only the (S)witch key and tried it again and the starter performed nromally and the engine started. It seems there some kind of feedback of power through the (I) terminal which goes to the coil I think. With the engine firing though, the coil must get it's power by another circuit I reckon.
What troubles me it on the Echlin solenoid the (I) wire was connected to the terminal since I got 'BB' and there wasn't ever an issue like this. Any help/ideas ?
Thanks all and a lift of the lynch lid.

I think your getting feedback from your ground........ I had smilliar problems when I re-wiried my CJ with a new harness and added various relays for electric fuel pump, aux heater etc... I had the same issuse as you with the starter due to the electric fuel pump relay back feeding.

If'n it was negative feedback (the electrical kind) I'd be thinking that it would spark, which it hasn't done (yet) :bomb:

Really it sounds like the solenoid has a tight spot in it. If so it will get better with use. They slap those together so fast now, also most of them don't know what they are even doing.
I had a IH scout that had the solenoid on the starter. When the flywheel gear wore out, it would hold the starter running until the motor started. If the motor didn't start, you had to unhook the battery.
I guess the amp rating on your solenoid is good enough. The other thought, is they are trying to weld themselves together, from too much current.
Have you tried pulling the coil wire,so it can't start, and if you can get it to act up, unhook the wire from the solenoid coil.
Just to see if it does drop out?
That lets you know if I is mechanical, or electrical.

Good luck.
tison

Since last night's tests I left the coil line disconnected and the motor starts without a hitch and the starter functions correctly. I'm just dubious about leaving the (I) terminal disconnected is all.

I read from another forum that owing to tight manufacture of solenoid innards, the tolerances are sometimes too tight and the relay sometimes gets stuck open or closed until they 'wear in'
I drove 'BB' to work this morning with the (I) terminal wire disconnected and in starting her this morn all was working well and the 12 miles commute showed no signs of electical issues.
biggrin-1.gif

Still, I'm keeping my trusty rubber mallet under the seat.
wink-1.gif

I still carry my 1/2, and 9/16 wrenches with me. I believe I could fix anything on mine with them...
At least you didn't have a handful of bolts left over.ha

Update: Been commuting all week and it's started up without a hitch, so I guess I'm good to go until I get time to do some more evaluating.

I've got a length of Excelene welding wire 2/0 gauge I'm going to wire with. First job will be to address the cobbled together job I attempted with regular battery cable, my vise and soldering gun. Also have a hexagonal crimper comin' but I will be soldering the copper lugs anyway. I have some leftover HD shrink tubing (adhesive inside) that I'll finish the job with. If my skill set holds up, I may upgrade/rewire the rest of the battery and winch lines.

Back