CJ Dash Indicator light replacement

FLYCASTER

Is there an easy way to replace the dash indicator lights? Two of mine must be burnt out and I have ordered replacements. Just not sure how to remove the old ones or how they plug in. Any help greatly appreciated. :???: Thanks!

I replaced all of mine recently... Some were easier than others. I have a stock dash in an '86 CJ7 and most of the bulbs were more accessible with the dash loose. I did not take it completely off... Like pulling it off the steering column. There are some good pictures online that show the backside of the dash and the bulb locations. Hopefully I can describe the socket, 'cause if they have a name I don't know it. The socket is pressed into a sheet metal hole. The socket has half a dozen fingers around it. These fingers apply outward pressure to the hole and are so shaped that their diameter is greater than the hole. They are tapered so you just push them in and can pull them out and provide the ground contact for the bulb. The tricky part, at least for me, was pulling them out without pulling on the wire to the bulb. I failed that on the bottom of the speedo... Now I need a new socket! I also realized too late that particular bulb is more accessible with the dash in place. One thing you may want to consider is replacing all the bulbs at one time. That'll help save doing it randomly over time and (to me) a more consistent light color. Another issue I had was proper bulb sizing. Multiple are used and I struggled finding the right ones to fit. Even when giving original bulb part numbers. I finally bought off Amazon or ebay a packet of ten LED bulbs that were flat, like they had the normal base, but lacked any kind of glass bulb over the LED. Strange looking, but should last longer than regular incandescent type. That give off a little clean white light that really doesn't match the illuminated blue-green control label indicators. If I can find any of the pics I mentioned I'll post.

Sent from my XT1650 using Jeepz.com mobile app

1498310641173.jpg

For some reason I could not use the photo loader and had to use the attachment (paperclip) and then realized that neither were jpeg's so I had to convert them!

Unknown.jpegThanks for the great info! I am up to speed on all the lights on the speedo. What I need help with is how to replace the rectangular indicator lights. See attached pic! Is there a trick to getting these out? Any help will be welcome!

I bought all new ones and basically pried the covers off, then they just about fell away from the backside. If you have the new ones already you'll see on the sides what I would describe as ramped protrusions. Those are what holds them in place. They don't flex much that's why I didn't try saving the old ones... No point in that the bulbs are not replaceable. Again, I replaced all of them for a consistent color & brightness. Oh well, if I can be of further help I'll be happy to, but first I have to run over to Summit Racing and buy today's activities! 😀

That's what I was hoping you'd say. I thought about starting to pry them off from the front but wanted to make sure first. Thanks again and enjoy your day and your weekend! Gary

Back