2004 Liberty Headlamps flashing

Randall

Hi All,

First timer here. My 2004 Liberty Renegade 3.7L has a strange problem. When first started up at night, sometimes the headlamps will switch off and on 1 - 4 times with the relay clicking. Then it doesn't do it again, and it doesn't do it a lot of days, just once in a while. I changed the relay a while back and it stopped for a long time, so I thought it was the fix, but now it does it again.

Tonight I measured the battery at 12.55v before starting just to see where it was at, because I have another intermittant issue of the battery having been to low to start the vehicle once 5 months ago and again one month ago. I don't know if these are related or not.

I started and idled in the driveway to gather info, and at about 1 minute in, maybe less, the lights filckered 4 times and then stopped. No more problems for the rest of the short trip to the grocery and back.

Thinking I had a battery issue after the last time it died about a month ago, I brought it in to Autozone and had it charged and tested. Both the battery and alternator tested good.

Anyone have anything to offer here? Thanks!

Yes battery or charging or connection issue.
Being you deep cucledvthe battery when you had the starting issue, pull the battery and have it load tested. Parts stores will do it for free.
While the battery is out clean the terminals and connectors. Then clean the grounds to the body and engine. If it continues have your alternator tested.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Flashing head lamps -
Are there any wiring modifications - added lamps, wrong bulbs,

You changed relay and all was good for awhile... check fuse are right amp not higher,
Might do a lamp load test (amps)

As stated above, the battery and alternator have already been tested good. Connections have been cleaned, grounds are good. Fuses are right, no mods or added bulbs. It's all stock. It only does it every once in a while and only within the first minute or so of being started with lights on.

starting with lights (already) on.....that could be the clue....

I will think on that... How would the BCM handle that .

No, I meant starting and then switching lights on. I would not ask a battery to crank an engine while the lights were on.

FYI- The battery should be able to Handel it.
Also the check in checking good may have different meanings to some. Checking is load testing not a simple voltage test. If a cell is failing you could charge to 12.6v but get intermittent dips in voltage. Once the alternator kicks in the dip goes away.

Do you have s battery voltage readout? Does it move when this is happening?

Anyway. Did you check the lights or relay ground?

Try moving the multifunction switch around when it's doing this. Jeep still roughed the lights power through the multi function switch. If it gets worse or stops look into swapping the switch.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:

I do not have a battery voltage readout. Since it only does it once in a while, this would be a very difficult thing to catch, I have considered the multifunction switch and have tried to get it to reproduce the symptoms by flexing, tapping, etc. No results.

Back