98 Cherokee AWd.will not go into OD, engine light, no reverse lights

Ok, I had my 98 Cherokee since new. BEST Ever! Never no problems and currently at 350,000! Dont burn a drop of oil and Never ANY Tranny issues. Ok , very long story short, My headlight on/off knob and switch broke off. I like to do things on my own so I replaced it but forgot to disconnect battery and ended up blowing the fuse or fuses. I Replaced...Suddenly my engine light came on and I noticed my jeep still shifts perfectly but refuses to go into Drive on highway. BUT!, IF I stop, turn key on/off it will go into Drive but only for 10 secs, and goes back to 4th. I had a guy look at it but his problem is his computer will not communicate and either will auto zones etc. So he really dont wanna work on it and either does the other 10 garages i went to.
So. After some research on another forum, was suggested was NSS..so I pulled it out, took apart, cleaned it..it looked good but didnt change anything

I tried to clear ? ...pc by disconnecting battery cable and swithing ignition 10x..i also tried some other tricks to get engine light off..by turning the key like 6x ..and some gas peddle thing i read...so..im thinking now its a computer problem..but I really have no clue..all my fuses look good.
Quick rundown
1. Engine light on
2. Reverse lights dont work
3. Code readers cant communicate
4. Will not go into OD..but will for 10 secs if I turn jeep on/off..then it just goes out of OD..but it shifts fine other then that.

Thanks
Justine

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190119-020954.png
    Screenshot_20190119-020954.png
    587.3 KB · Views: 37

Welcome to Jeepz.com. That's pretty cool that you're the first owner.

Have you tried this:
  1. Begin by putting the key in the ignition.
  2. Press and hold down the odometer reset button, turn the key to the run position, then release the reset button.
  3. The odometer display will cycle through the digits 1-9, then display the vehicle's serial number. The full trouble code will then display.

A new computer is only $100 if it comes to that
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=98+Cherokee

Or without starting the engine turn the key on off on off on within 5 seconds. Not too fast. Count the check engine blinks. They will be in two digit codes. 55 is end. Post codes up.

Is your battery and connections in good condition? Failing battery does odd things.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back