Ignition button flaky in 2014 Grand Cherokee: anyone else having/had this problem?

jonathan7007

All,
I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Laredo with about 40,000 miles. The ignition switch(button) will start the car every time but will often (33% of the time?) not switch "Off" at first press. The car remains in "Acc" and the locking system will chirp if you don't notice and try to leave, lock up, etc.

To get to Off you have to re-start the car with a button press, and then try again. It usually will go immediately to Off at that second try. In fact, since that always happens, I wonder if it's a clue as to what's wrong? If the switch was failing mechanically it would fail to switch off during a certain number of second tries... never thought of this, but the reason I write in: the cost of replacement vs. certainty it will help and/or truly needed.

The extra time pressing the button to fully shut off the car is a nuisance, OK, sure, but the real problem would come when (I can imagine) the button will not START the car. The service advisor at my dealer has no info on the issue, either experience with another customer or Jeep bulletin.

Any experience to share? Thanks, in advance.

Back