2004 Wrangler X Subwoofer Replacement?

drobie

Does anybody have any suggestions for replacing a blown subwoofer in a 2004 Wrangler X? I have the stock radio and I believe the current subwoofer is a 6.5. I want to find a replacement speaker that will fit in the existing console and work with the existing amp and wiring but provide superior sound quality. Thank you, in advance, for your solutions. New Jeep Owner.

The stock Wrangler subwoofer is a 1 ohm sub, and the normal replacement sub that you'll buy at best buy will be a 4 ohm speaker. You can buy nicer subs that are 2 ohm, but it still won't be stable at 1 ohm.

What I'm getting at is that a replacement speaker paired with the stock amp won't sound good. It may sound better than a totally blown speaker, but probably not much.

A better idea would be to get a small amplifier and mount it under the driver's seat, then wire it to a nice replacement sub (well, as nice a sub as you can get in a 6.5 size). One problem with this setup is that the stock head unit doesn't have any rca outputs, so you'll need an amp with line inputs, or some line to rca converters.

I started out doing something like this, and ended up with a new head unit, and subs mounted inside the rear seat.. things mushroomed quick..

Great I'm happy you got it done!! I've been doing custom Jeep Audio for a long time!
I preffer custom box's with 10" or 12" subs
I also build custom kick pod's and then sell the things on craigslist
copy and paste this link

forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/518700/351187.html

I did. It took a little cutting but it works nicely. I would still like a little more umph but it works for now.

South, How did you wire this up? I'm not much of a stereo guy, so I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to take the 4 wires off the stock sub and attach them to the 2 ports on an aftermarket sub.

Feel free to talk in stereo idiot and just tell me what colors to connect to what.

Thanks.

My 01' jeep wrangler subwoofer was also blown... I purchased a custom dual 10" subwoofer box from the internet which fits behind the rear seat. I took the dual speaker leads from the factory amp and ran them to the new subwoofers. It sounds awesome. I'm not sure how many watts the factory subwoofer amplifier produces but it is plenty to drive the new subwoofers and it sounds much better then the factory arrangement. It is a pretty easy fix, good luck.
Mike

How do you remove the speaker? I have a 2004 wrangler. I took the whole unit out of the jeep I can't fiqure out how to get it apart do you drill the rivets?

How do you remove the speaker? I have a 2004 wrangler. I took the whole unit out of the jeep I can't fiqure out how to get it apart do you drill the rivets?

I had the same problem. i couldnt get the guts of the center console out. there are a couple screws inside the unit that you need to unscrew. I cant remember exactly, its been a while. but you unscrew those and the whole thing just pops out.

On a side note, i took the stock sub from a chevy cobalt and wired it right in and put it in the back, behind the seat. i have the wires crimped onto connectors right before the sub so i can take it out whenever i take the top off. my thing is, unless you have an enclosed ported box, subs sound like ass with the top off. i have never heard one with the sub inside and under the back seat...... does it sound good with the top off? anybody? anyway, the ohms are the same for the stock chevy sub. and they are both dual voice coils. as far as matching the wiring, i just had the radio on and touched em till they sounded good lol. i just know what sounds right.... i dunno what is actually correct. but, so far its good. sounds waaaaaay better than the 6.5, probably because its a 12 inch, and also isnt right next to my hip so i cant hear it bottom out. just something ive done. im going to go figure out what i did to get the guts out of that console. BRB!

Yes..... open up the center console, opposite sides, bout 4 inches in, those two screws are what did it for me. hope this helps!

I was able to get an exact fit replacement for my blown subwoofer from Quadratec. My blew recently and I checked around at some of the local auto sound places for options and pricing. I wasn't exactly happy with either. Most of the options they had for me would either take up that little bit of usable space behind the back seat or would have left me open to theft of what ever I put in to replace the console sub. One option they had was to mount something to both fender wells next to the back seat...and I told them as soon as I was somewhere with the top down some one would decide they needed those speakers more than me. Most of their options were way too pricy too.

I was able to find a "Quadratec Exclusive" on their website for $89.
It came with fairly easy instructions and I was able to remove the old sub and install the new one in about an hour and a half. I am electronics savvy but not very car audio savvy. After reading some of the posts here and what some of the dealer options were, I decided to give it a go myself. I am glad I did. I had a little help from my step-daughter holding the flashlight, taking a few screws out, and kinda being my gopher. It was relatively easy, however I had a heck of a time getting the sub enclosure out of the console once all of the screws were removed...I thought I was going to break something.

One thing, I did have to discard the factory mesh cover that was over top of the original sub...I just couldn't get it to fit with the new speaker. This new speaker sounds 1000 times better than the original and overall I am pleased. I get a little bit of thump, everything is still secure, and I don't lose any of my precious cargo space.

Back