computer installation in the jeep... jeeputer / carputer

One more... what GPS receiver did you use? :D I want to get Overland Navigator going so I'd like to use the GPS you used since it's apparently compatible.

Thanks for answering my questions. After checking out Mini-box I am thinking I'll just go with one of their Atom systems. I can get a full working dual-CPU Intel Atom system ready to have windows loaded on it WITH a 7" touchscreen + mounting brackets, wiring, everything else for ~$550. I can't even build it myself that cheap.

I'm not sure he is running Overland Navigator. I added the Overland Navigator posts because I thought anyone looking at putting a carputer in a jeep would probably be interested in it. I apologize for the confusion. In hindsight I should have started a separate thread. I didn't mean to hijack his. If the admin's want to move my posts and any followup questions to a new thread, please feel free.

Any GPS that does NMEA0183 will work with Overland Navigator. Two of my favorites are:

Globalsat BU-353 as it has the SIRFIII chipset that is very sensitive. This allows it to work well under tree cover. This is the same chipset that are in the high end Garmin units such as the 60CSx. The BU-353 is about $36.

The MightyGPS "Weatherproof" GPS is basically the same on the inside but allows you to do a cleaner installation without any wires running across your hood, roof, or wherever you you decide to install it. This is the GPS I run.

Craig

DO you have to shut it down everytime you stop driving or is it set up like a laptop with hibernate?

It senses ignition/Acc. Once voltage is off on the ignition/acc it waits 1 minutes, and then starts the shut down routine on its own. It can be set to various modes through the PSU. 30 min and then shut down, 60 min, 3 hours... etc.

Is that capable of CAN B(controller area network) and CAN C communications on the newer Jeeps?

Hmm....... im not sure actually.

One more... what GPS receiver did you use? :D I want to get Overland Navigator going so I'd like to use the GPS you used since it's apparently compatible.
Thanks for answering my questions. After checking out Mini-box I am thinking I'll just go with one of their Atom systems. I can get a full working dual-CPU Intel Atom system ready to have windows loaded on it WITH a 7" touchscreen + mounting brackets, wiring, everything else for ~$550. I can't even build it myself that cheap.

I use a Holux GPSlim 236. *Very* happy with it so far.

I like the way that his jeep is all nice and clean on the inside.... and shiny..... i can't ever get mine to do that lol
Clean? hahhaa! its full of dog hair! Seriously. If someone were allergic they would DIE in my jeep. (it dont stink though) just lots and lots of husky dog hair.

Last edited:

So over the weekend I received a Pro.Fit UltiMount V2 miMount for my iphone 3g which i ordered off ebay from Pro.Fit UltiMount V2 miMount Universal Cell Phone Mount - eBay (item 390058434345 end time Jul-10-09 11:01:27 PDT)

I gotta say it seems to its job really well.

image-missing.png

I had a few issues design issues with it. Apparently it was not designed for the iphone... When I would mount the iphone, the vibrate switch and volument controls went crazy because the case was pressing / switching them.

image-missing.png

Volumen acting up.
image-missing.png

so, I went to walmart, and bought a wireless dremel and did a little work to the case using the sanding wheel.

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

With that trimmed a little, the controls were now free and I could mount it in the jeep with no issues.

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

(btw, the software running on the iphone is called "Clinometer" in case anyone wanted to know. Measures pitch and roll, heading, with audible customizable alerts)

I also use a piece of software called MotionX gps which allows me to mark a way point and email it out to friends. Iguidance dont do that... so I wanted something i can share with friends if i come across something interesting while driving. It sends a KML file as well for google earth. Very handy piece.

Beyond that, no real reason to mount the iphone.

Thats all... for now. Gonna go take my dog for a drive. ^_^

Last edited:
Well, the 2003 is sold and I now have a 2006.

I've moved everything from the 2003 to the 2006

Touch screen mecha eject / inject test:

And here's a quick preview of centrafuse 3.0 which I operate as my front end.

And here's the MS cinecam setup using with XPORT to take GPS text as video overlay. I still have to get cabin sound working. I was thinking about finding a way to do this with quadraphonic sound.

Future plans for this project include:
-Solid state drive (once the prices drop or the current drive fails which ever comes first. Travelstar notebook drives are hardcore. They can take some abuse. its been 2 winters, and it has survived athen's brick roads. )
-upgrade to verizon wireless and dropping att once verizon gets the iphone in a few months. (att has **** poor 3g coverage so streaming music sucks every 2 miles)

Last edited:
Re: computer installation in the 2003 / 2006 jeep... jeeputer / carputer

New alarm added.
Crime stopper SP-300

-2 way pager (lets me know someone if someone is ****ing with my jeep.
-Shock sensor - warning if touched (like a handle being probed) full alarm if touched too hard (like a kick)
-Dome sensors (if the doors are opened)
- I added a proximity sensor as well (great for when the dome sensor is not working while the doors are off and someone tried reaching in... full alarm!)
-Pin sensors on the hood. (for the thief that wants your battery if they even manage to fool the perimeter sensor)

you can find it about $89.00 on Ebay. I had it professionally installed for 299.00 total all parts and labor. And THIS time they actually did a good job. (Class A sounds Athens Ohio)

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Last edited:

I just noticed that MS-cinecam setup - that is sweet! That would be great for offroading video (I never get around to videotaping when I'm offroad).

I may rig up a computer just to do that (video recording).

Could you post more photos of the camera that you're using? How does it look on the outside of the vehicle? Is it just a normal usb camera?

I just noticed that MS-cinecam setup - that is sweet! That would be great for offroading video (I never get around to videotaping when I'm offroad).

I may rig up a computer just to do that (video recording).

Could you post more photos of the camera that you're using? How does it look on the outside of the vehicle? Is it just a normal usb camera?

Yes. Its just a normal usb cam. Velcro is holding the metal brace to the retrovisor.

image-missing.png

Its the only pic i have at the moment of the cam. I was showing off my cracked windshield after i sprayed it with water... im still tinking of how to mount it so its not too visible. The antenna thing is for my CrimeStopper 2 way pager alarm.

looks good but who realy needs a comp in a jeep prob get stolen in a week but thats your choice

looks good but who realy needs a comp in a jeep prob get stolen in a week but thats your choice

You are probably right.
But the last kid that tried that literally ****ed him self and laid in it on the floor 'till an officer came to arrest him.

Lets just say i'm not too friendly or tolerant with thieves.
I'm never too far, and two way paging is spot on.

Besides, we don't have many incidents around here. Just the usual when people leave their flashy things in plain sight and easy reach.

I'm very impressed with all this. I never would have thought to do this. great job on an excellent and very clean install.

Re: computer installation in the jeep... jeeputer / carputer (pics inside)

So my friend I just bought an 07 commander and I want to in stall an computer in mine I have at this time three screens and still the stock radio in it I just picked up an jenson DVD head unit but I want a PC in mine so I wanted to know if I can take a look at your pics so I can have a better idea of what I need to do as well this will be my first PC install in an jeep so I would like to see what space you used to put the PC in and about the space behind the radio things like that so if you could help me with that it would be great thank you for your time

Back