Subwoofer Help

jacob123

I have a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited that I bought a couple of months ago. I dont know anything about the stereo or speakers in the car, but I do know that the deck is a kenwood. I think I blew the sub, and Im looking to replace or fix it. What would be a good sub to replace it with, how do you get to the sub, and how do you wire it. Im on a really tight budget seeing as I dont have a job and I have about $1000 in savings. Help! :???:

My dad also has a set of 6.5 inch Infinity speakers (not specifically built to be a sub) would these work?

I see how the post helps but I am having trouble getting to the sub, and I cant find any good subs in my price range, which not addressed in that article. I also dont know anyting about wiring. Pricing for some of the mentioned solutions and where i could find them would be helpful also.

You'll be limited in choices for subs that size that's why I went with the one in that link. (nice replacement sub). It is not a direct replacement and some cutting on the inside is involved. It will also have to be powered by an amp. Getting to the sub should be pretty straight forward. You have to remove the center console.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_2.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 36,997
It's such a small sub you really wouldn't need much of an amp to power it. Probably get one for less than $50.

what do you have with that sub. I want to be able to listen to it in a good quality, but I dont want to blow it out. numbers would be great, as well as links

what do you have with that sub. I want to be able to listen to it in a good quality, but I dont want to blow it out. numbers would be great, as well as links

I've got an Alpine MRP T220 for the sub and a Alpine MRP F250 powering the other four speakers. Those models are discontinued now. I also went up a size for each the front and sound bar speakers.

You said you were on a budget so you may not want to spend that much. I'm no expert on the best way to do it or wire it but it works great for me. Someone could probably recommend an amp that could power all 5 speakers or if you were looking for an amp to just power the sub after you take out the factory amplified sub than a small two channel 50w amp would be fine. Check this link and you'll find all sorts of inexpensive amps that would work. I can't vouch for the quality though. If you want guaranteed quality then go through someone like Crutchfield.com. Crutchfield Amps

Again, I'm no expert but it worked for me.

Last edited:
Turns out my dad had an extra 10" just sitting in his truck so I can use that. My only problem now is disconnecting my old woofer. I have a huge Bundle of wires that are connected to another that goes deeper into my console and my dad thinks that all of that is for all my other speakers to the amp in the woofer box. If you understand what I'm talking about can you help me disconnect my old woofer. My dad already knows how to connect the new one. Thanks for all the help so far!

The factory subwoofer has the built in amp. Here.s the connector pin out's.SUBWOOFER - 12 WAY

CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION1X54 18VTRIGHT FRONT SPEAKER (+)2X56 18DBRIGHT FRONT SPEAKER (-)3X53 18DGLEFT FRONT SPEAKER (+)4X55 18BR/RDLEFT FRONT SPEAKER (-)5X16 20LGRADIO 12V OUTPUT6X13 16BK/RDFUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT7X52 18GY/DBRIGHT REAR SPEAKER (+)8X58 18DB/PKRIGHT REAR SPEAKER (-)9X51 18BR/YLLEFT REAR SPEAKER (+)10X57 18BR/LBLEFT REAR SPEAKER (-)11--12Z9 16BK/WTGROUND

Attachments

• 812390e2.gif
    812390e2.gif
    21.9 KB · Views: 450
  • 812390e1.gif
    812390e1.gif
    23.6 KB · Views: 659
Last edited by a moderator:
Jacob,
Are you looking to simply replace the factory sub that sits in your console, or are looking to add a new sub box somewhere (like behind the rear seat).

Since you've got a kenwood stereo, and not a factory one, it's hard to say how the last guy wired up the stereo, but normally there is just a plug on the factory subwoofer that you can unplug - thus disabling it. Take out the existing sub and you should see a plug on it.

There is a plug that has a huge bundle of wires and my dad believes that it is all of the speakers are routed to the amp in the sub then back out to the speakers. I think I just need to cut a wire or to to the actual sub, then I can disconnect it, but I dnt know if im correct, or if I should do it differently.

I would hesitate before cutting any wires (you should not have to cut wires to replace a speaker). Are you trying to replace the stock sub, or simply disable it? If you want to just disable the sub (so it won't rattle) just unplug the connection on the sub itself.

Just outlilne what you are trying to do, and we'll help.

I'm trying to disconnect that one, and replace it with one that is going to be behind my seat. I also would like to be able to pull out the old speaker, as I want to disassemble it to look at the parts.

You don't need to cut anything - just remove the sub and enclosure from your console. There is a plug that you unplug to remove it (i believe it's #5 in SouthTJ's post)

It sounds like you are saying the previous owner really micky moused the installation of the Kenwood and has all kinds of wires spliced together etc?
Myself, I'd rip itr all out and start fresh, this way you know whats where and don't spent the rest of your life trying to find shorts and guessing what goes where. I know it's a horrible job but when it's done at least you will know it's done right. I'd also do a wiring diagram ad I wired it , for future reference.

I just gave up taking it out, and got it disabled and the new one in. I love the new sub i have, a infiniti basslink, and I would greatly recommend it.

Back