1. #1
    ZJP's Avatar
    ZJP
    ZJP is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    13

    Question When the lights go out in the city

    Hi, that's a Journey reference in the title. I have a 96 ZJ and when I bought it it didn't have any courtesy lights. I finally received my repair manual and found the fuse box. The fuse was missing so I put one in and the lights came on, and on. They won't go out. I'm guessing it's a relay of some sorts. I was hopping one of my betters here on the forum could help me out. So what do you chaps have to say on the subject? No unkind remarks please.

  2. #2
    TerryMason's Avatar
    TerryMason is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Virginia Beach VA
    Posts
    7,860

    Re: When the lights go out in the city

    OK here are a couple of options:

    1. Check your headlight switch and make sure it's not clicked in the fully anticlockwise position (this turns on interior lights).
    2. There is a dashboard illumination switch that controls the brightness. If it is pushed up fully, the interior lights will stay on. Lower the switch slightly until the interior lights go off. When doors are closed, if the switch is lowered, the lights should go off after about 30 seconds max, maybe less.
    3. Check the door jam switch on each door. The switch is located at the bottom of the door opposite the hinge. The switch is used to tell the car that the door was unlocked and to turn on the lights. If you pull back the door cover on the bottom (You do not need to remove the cover completely) and pull back that plastic you will see the plug for the switch down in that bottom corner. Just unplug one switch and try closing and locking the doors. If the lights still don't go off try unplugging the other switch and doing the same.
    Don't stop believin and you'll be able to fix those lights any way you want it.

  3. #3
    bobcat481's Avatar
    bobcat481 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    530

    Re: When the lights go out in the city

    Quote Originally Posted by TerryMason View Post
    Don't stop believin and you'll be able to fix those lights any way you want it.

    Seriously Terry?

  4. #4
    TerryMason's Avatar
    TerryMason is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Virginia Beach VA
    Posts
    7,860

    Re: When the lights go out in the city

    I know - trying too hard...

  5. #5
    ZJP's Avatar
    ZJP
    ZJP is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    13

    Re: When the lights go out in the city

    Thanks for your wisdom. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. A couple of things that came to me after I posted this. The rear lift gate mechanism is off. I will have the replacement in a couple of days. I looked closely at the rear lift gate and could not find a switch. I looked in the repair manual and couldn't find it either. I know it's in there. I just haven't found it yet. Dose anybody know ware the lift gate switch is located? Once I find it I am going to do the one switch at a time method. When I have the fuse in the dimmer switch has no effect on the courtesy lights. It dims the dash and overhead counsel.



    Quote Originally Posted by TerryMason View Post
    OK here are a couple of options:

    1. Check your headlight switch and make sure it's not clicked in the fully anticlockwise position (this turns on interior lights).
    2. There is a dashboard illumination switch that controls the brightness. If it is pushed up fully, the interior lights will stay on. Lower the switch slightly until the interior lights go off. When doors are closed, if the switch is lowered, the lights should go off after about 30 seconds max, maybe less.
    3. Check the door jam switch on each door. The switch is located at the bottom of the door opposite the hinge. The switch is used to tell the car that the door was unlocked and to turn on the lights. If you pull back the door cover on the bottom (You do not need to remove the cover completely) and pull back that plastic you will see the plug for the switch down in that bottom corner. Just unplug one switch and try closing and locking the doors. If the lights still don't go off try unplugging the other switch and doing the same.
    Don't stop believin and you'll be able to fix those lights any way you want it.

  6. #6
    SteelHeadz's Avatar
    SteelHeadz is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kerrville, TX
    Posts
    6,087

    When the lights go out in the city

    The liftgate switch is located in the liftgate latch mechanism. it's a micro switch trigered by a cam lever when the latch is actuated open or closed.
    Confucious says: Don't eat the snow where the huskies go!

  7. #7
    ZJP's Avatar
    ZJP
    ZJP is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    13

    Re: When the lights go out in the city

    Thanks for the post. Ill have the new latch in a couple of days. Meanwhile Ill play with the old one to see if I can get it in to position. Are the wires going to the latch for the micro switch? If so I can just use a jumper to close the circuit.


    Quote Originally Posted by SteelHeadz View Post
    The liftgate switch is located in the liftgate latch mechanism. it's a micro switch trigered by a cam lever when the latch is actuated open or closed.

  8. #8
    SteelHeadz's Avatar
    SteelHeadz is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kerrville, TX
    Posts
    6,087

    Re: When the lights go out in the city

    If I remember correctly, if you jump the 2 wires on the latch switch it should close the circuit and should turn on the dome lamps. Or it's the other wY around. I'm not in a position to verify that yet since my wife hid both of my laptops while I'm recovering from my surgery from last week. Hence I'm using my iPhone right now while she's asleep. Haha. Try it both ways and see what results you get.
    Confucious says: Don't eat the snow where the huskies go!

  9. #9
    ZJP's Avatar
    ZJP
    ZJP is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    13

    Re: When the lights go out in the city

    You get the die hard award for that effort!


    Quote Originally Posted by SteelHeadz View Post
    If I remember correctly, if you jump the 2 wires on the latch switch it should close the circuit and should turn on the dome lamps. Or it's the other wY around. I'm not in a position to verify that yet since my wife hid both of my laptops while I'm recovering from my surgery from last week. Hence I'm using my iPhone right now while she's asleep. Haha. Try it both ways and see what results you get.

  10. #10
    ZJP's Avatar
    ZJP
    ZJP is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    13

    Re: When the lights go out in the city

    Quote Originally Posted by TerryMason View Post
    OK here are a couple of options:

    1. Check your headlight switch and make sure it's not clicked in the fully anticlockwise position (this turns on interior lights).
    2. There is a dashboard illumination switch that controls the brightness. If it is pushed up fully, the interior lights will stay on. Lower the switch slightly until the interior lights go off. When doors are closed, if the switch is lowered, the lights should go off after about 30 seconds max, maybe less.
    3. Check the door jam switch on each door. The switch is located at the bottom of the door opposite the hinge. The switch is used to tell the car that the door was unlocked and to turn on the lights. If you pull back the door cover on the bottom (You do not need to remove the cover completely) and pull back that plastic you will see the plug for the switch down in that bottom corner. Just unplug one switch and try closing and locking the doors. If the lights still don't go off try unplugging the other switch and doing the same.
    Don't stop believin and you'll be able to fix those lights any way you want it.
    I checked the door switches with an ohm meter as well as the one at a time technique. My dash switch only has three positions. On, parking light and off. The dimmer works on the dash only. Do you think that is the culprit? Do you know if there is some type of relay connected in the circuit? Any other ideas? This is past the point of being interesting. Thanks

  11. #11
    54cj3b's Avatar
    54cj3b is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Evergreen,Colorado
    Posts
    1,520

    Re: When the lights go out in the city

    I knew there was a reason I hate electrical
    ALL I OWN ARE JEEPS!

    54CJ3B ,76DJ5RHD , 81DJ5RHD, 88XJ , (It's)93XJRHD(Alive), 06KJ ,

  12. #12
    JPNinPA's Avatar
    JPNinPA is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dayton Ohio Area
    Posts
    4,583

    Re: When the lights go out in the city

    Sounds like it might be time to trace all the wiring, if you haven't already. Start at one side and trace it back to the relay. Look for frayed wire that could be shorted and any switches. The switches the PO may have put in to control the light remotely. Also does your rig have a timer on the light that could be bad? My lights dim and go out after some time of door closure or time on.
    Last edited by JPNinPA; 06-05-2010 at 08:05 AM.
    "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

  13. #13
    paradineai's Avatar
    paradineai is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    40

    Re: When the lights go out in the city

    On all jeep door latches (discovered from trial/error)
    I have found that if you disconnect the plug from the
    Switch it will turn off some light.
    If your done lights are still in then your headlight
    control switch needs to be checked if this doesn't fix
    it means that you have a broken wire somewhere and it
    is shorting out and making your lights come on.

Similar Threads

  1. Sioux City, IA
    By Bounty__Hunter in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 06:36 PM
  2. What's your city mileage on your TJ?
    By southtj in forum General Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-02-2007, 12:31 PM
  3. went to chesapeake city...
    By phatyaspen in forum Events
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 06:43 PM
  4. City Wheelin
    By Utah_jeepster in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-17-2004, 04:56 PM
  5. Turbo City Kit
    By wjvose in forum CJ YJ TJ and JK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-20-2003, 07:00 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in