how do you bypass a commander stock amp?

Commando

I have a 06 commander, non navigation, non Boston acoustics. I hooked up a aftermarket indash and everything works but no sound at all. After doing a little research it appears I need to bypass the factory amp. My question is where, and how do I do that?

get a wireing diagram for the amp and all u have ta do is power it up by hooking the amp power wire to the power antenea

So I just run a wire from the power antenna wire coming off the back off the aftermarket CD player to the power wire coming off the amp?

This is starting to confuse me. Do you have a Boston Acoustic system?, If not , there's no amplifier from the factory. IF you DO have a Boston Acoustics system, here's how it functions.
The amplifier receives fused battery current from a fuse in the Integrated Power Module (IPM) at all times. The internal circuitry of the amplifier switches the amplifier on based upon a CAN bus message that is received from the radio receiver whenever the radio is turned on. The amplifier receives the sound signal inputs from the left and right rear outputs of the radio, then sends the amplified speaker outputs for each of those channels to the speakers.
Note: The power up and power down on the amplifier is done through communications on the CAN bus system which is a max. 5volt communication and usually idles at 2.5volts. IF you feed this wire with a 12volt, it will fry.
Check with your local car audio store about a module you can install for a CAN bus system to utilize the factory amp to turn on and off like it was from the factory. This module will run inline with the power output antenna of the aftermarket radio and will send the signal thru the CAN bus communication line.

81f2bb2d-1.gif

81f2bb2f-1.gif

81f2bb2e-1.gif

81f2b4a7-1.gif

I hope this helps.

he would need to hook the antenna wire to the small input lead on the amp but........

working on other models that had factory amps, i had to run the speakers with out hooking up the grounds from the stereo to get sound. i forget what type of system its called but when i would hook the head unit grounds to the speaker grounds on the harness, no sound. unhook the hu grounds from the speaker harness grounds and everything worked fine. worked for years in a few cars like that. shoot, could still be working, don't know. sold them ot other people

also, only with a factory amp.

What's "hu"? You wrote, "hu wires" and I'm just wondering what it means. So your saying that if i unhook the factory speaker grounds and just leave the speaker positive connected it might produce sound?

What's "hu"? You wrote, "hu wires" and I'm just wondering what it means. So your saying that if i unhook the factory speaker grounds and just leave the speaker positive connected it might produce sound?

HU is Head unit (the radio). No you cannot only hook up the pos wire to the speakers. They have to be grounded some way to the body.

I think your problem lies in the amp not coming on. You need to check the wiring schematics that steelheadz has posted and find the remote wire to the amp and wire it to the remote wire on the hu. This wire from the radio is usually blue and will have power on it when you turn the radio on. the radio "remotely" turns on the amp, that is why it is called the remote wire. In the old days this wire was used to raise the power antennae. This blue wire coming from the radio will signal the amp to come on. I don't know which wire runs to the amp but it should be on the plug that used to plug into the back of your factory radio that your adapter now plugs into. It will be one of the wires that now has nothing running to it, or the new adapter plug has not addressed.

Check the plug that used to plug into the back of your radio and ask yourself "what wire is not running to something now with the new plug". That wire will probably go to the amp remote. Check that result with the wiring schematics to doublecheck. If you feel confident you have the amp remote wire, hook it to the blue remote wire on the radio.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Edit: From looking at the schematic above, It looks like the amp will be powered by a yellow wire with a red stripe on it. Find that wire going into the amp. With everything turned on see if that wire has power.If it does than your main power to the amp is good, but there should also be a remote wire as mentioned above. I just don't see it in the schematic.

Last edited:
There is no remote on and off from the factory wiring to the aftermarket radio. The modules(radio, amp,dvd etc) turns on and off by means of communications through the CAN bus system. This is where the aftermarket CAN bus interface is needed to fool the factory system and send a signal to the dominant module which in this case, TIPM(tottaly integrated power module). In turn, this module will communicate to the amplifier(if equipped) to turn on via CAN bus communications. Without the interface, there will be a language barrier between the aftermarket unit and the CAN Bus units within the network of modules.

There is no remote on and off from the factory wiring to the aftermarket radio. The modules(radio, amp,dvd etc) turns on and off by means of communications through the CAN bus system. This is where the aftermarket CAN bus interface is needed to fool the factory system and send a signal to the dominant module which in this case, TIPM(tottaly integrated power module). In turn, this module will communicate to the amplifier(if equipped) to turn on via CAN bus communications. Without the interface, there will be a language barrier between the aftermarket unit and the CAN Bus units within the network of modules.

Seems like his after market wiring harness adapter would have taken care of this. Like I stated in another post...." it would be going back to the "professionals" who installed it and they would be fixing it". I am going to bow out of this one now, steel, you have just gone over my head. Hope I have not caused any harm.

Seems like his after market wiring harness adapter would have taken care of this. Like I stated in another post...." it would be going back to the "professionals" who installed it and they would be fixing it". I am going to bow out of this one now, steel, you have just gone over my head. Hope I have not caused any harm.

No harm done, i'm simply just trying to clarify how it's suppose to work properly. I'm not here to confront or single out any individuals or to prove anyone wrong but instead correct something that might go wrong at someone else's expense. I apologize if i sounded or seem to be a jerk on how i responded on the post. I've seen these headaches and frustrations from my personnal experience and knowing how it functions and it's design structure, i simply just wanted to help.

HU is Head unit (the radio). No you cannot only hook up the pos wire to the speakers. They have to be grounded some way to the body.

I think your problem lies in the amp not coming on. You need to check the wiring schematics that steelheadz has posted and find the remote wire to the amp and wire it to the remote wire on the hu. This wire from the radio is usually blue and will have power on it when you turn the radio on. the radio "remotely" turns on the amp, that is why it is called the remote wire. In the old days this wire was used to raise the power antennae. This blue wire coming from the radio will signal the amp to come on. I don't know which wire runs to the amp but it should be on the plug that used to plug into the back of your factory radio that your adapter now plugs into. It will be one of the wires that now has nothing running to it, or the new adapter plug has not addressed.

Check the plug that used to plug into the back of your radio and ask yourself "what wire is not running to something now with the new plug". That wire will probably go to the amp remote. Check that result with the wiring schematics to doublecheck. If you feel confident you have the amp remote wire, hook it to the blue remote wire on the radio.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Edit: From looking at the schematic above, It looks like the amp will be powered by a yellow wire with a red stripe on it. Find that wire going into the amp. With everything turned on see if that wire has power.If it does than your main power to the amp is good, but there should also be a remote wire as mentioned above. I just don't see it in the schematic.

some cars are set up to run on a different type of ground system and hte speakers are grounded where they mount so there is no ground return wires.

No harm done, i'm simply just trying to clarify how it's suppose to work properly. I'm not here to confront or single out any individuals or to prove anyone wrong but instead correct something that might go wrong at someone else's expense. I apologize if i sounded or seem to be a jerk on how i responded on the post. I've seen these headaches and frustrations from my personnal experience and knowing how it functions and it's design structure, i simply just wanted to help.
You did not sound harsh at all, but a can bus is above my skill level. Besides I never smoked the stuff.:lol:
Hope he figures it out though. Sucks not having tunes.

I figured it out. I was using the wrong wire harness. Everyone told me I needed the, metra xsvi6502 which doesent tell the can bus system to turn the amp on. After everyone's advice and some researching of my own i found out i needed chto01 which has a communication with the can bus that turns the amp on, and keeps the door function. I'm told there is a upgraded harness to this one that is newer and works little better, if anyone knows the model number on it let me know. Mine works good except the sound gets low and then high sometimes so i will be trying out the new one as soon as i find out what its called. Thanks so much for the help guys, thanks to you i figured it out.

You seem to have a solid grasp of this. I have an 07 Commander that had a sirius xm deck that had malfunctioned. In process of trying to install new stereo, I attempted to wire the pioneer harness directly to cars wiring and cut the wiring harness. I see know that that was a terrible idea. In researching, I've found diagram for my wiring harness to I.d. what my wires in the harness were, but am stuck on the point where my radio turns on but no sound. From reading posts like this, I see that my issue is the Can Bus not getting signals from the deck. I know what wires are positive and negative for the can bus line. Is there anything I can do at this point?Capture+_2020-02-14-18-17-24.png

Back