5.25" front dash speakers in a TJ

jackflack44

I heard they sound much better than the 4x7"s (?) that are stock. I also read that you need an adapter to fit them, anyone know where I can get one?

probably any car audio place would have them but since 5.25 is going to fall into the 4x7 range somewhere, its very possible two of the mounting screws will line up on the 5.25 to hold them in place on the dash mount areas.

i have the dash mounted 4x7 and the wife has the dash mounted and the overhead speaker bar (hers is a sahara) and the overhead bar makes a huge difference. she wants to sell her wrangler so i am thinking of yanking all the options and putting them into mine since they won't affect the selling price down here on the beach.

Do a search on speaker bracket. I recall someone posting teh measurements you could cut out of wood or whatever you want. When you do get the 5.25's be sure to get 4-way. The sound is so much better when you could hear the high highs.

Any idea what those wires are for?

Attachments

• image-266056223.jpg
    image-266056223.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,178
The company that made the adapters had went out of biz.
here is a link that shows you the dimensions to make a set out of 1/8 steel plate.
Bought a set a long time ago and they work great holding a 5.25 speaker, but you need to take sound matting and make a bowl behind the speaker to help throw the sound forward into the cab.

the blue remote wire is for a cd changer.

the other ones, no idea. do you have the diagram showing the colors and what they do? it should be in the instructions for hte head unit. i would imagine the orange are speaker outs for a rear speaker left or something like that.

Link post #12 pg1

On the wires above what does the manual say they are for? Could be for ign power so it's on only with the key or steering wheel controls, amp on so amp is only on with the stereo??

How do I secure the stereo to the frame? Cause if I install right now I can simply pull the stereo right out.

Attachments

• image-2783327491.jpg
    image-2783327491.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 852
  • image-1607121545.jpg
    image-1607121545.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 673

Sort of. There should be a metal "cage" around the head unit, near the front. Slide the hu out of the cage, (the cage slides toward the back of the hu) and mount the cage (the tabs are on the cage). Slide the hu back into the cage.

Your missing the cage that the radio slides into. Its a little metal cage with crazy cut out designs all around it. The stereo will slide perfectly into it and you'll have to have some little flat 5 handles to unlock the stereo from the cage after you put it into the cage. The cage slides into where your radio is sitting in that plasitc adapter and then you bend the crazy cut outs outward with a screwdriver or something. Once you have bent enough outward to secure the cage to the plastic well, you slide the headunit in place

Your cage is still on the head unit. its the sleeve that is around the front. yours doesn't have the crazy cut out designs

The sleeve should fit pretty tight into the plastic opening/adapter.

The sleeve will slide in from the front of the opening (like pushing it into the dash). There is a lip on the front of the sleeve that will catch and keep the sleeve from sliding all the way through the adapter.

At this point look at the back of the plastic adapter you have, there will be some triangular shaped tabs in the sleeve on the back side of the adapter.You will need to bend these triangular tabs out to keep the sleeve from sliding back out of the plastic adapter you have. If you cannot get to them from the backside of the plastic adapter, push them from the inside of the sleeve to the outside.
After the sleeve is mounted to your plastic adapter, insert the back of the radio into the front of the sleeve. Push in till it clicks.

Back