Audio and top off

TheGhost45

Ok so just got my wrangler all together freshly painted lift installed bigger tires the whole 9 yards pretty much I want to upgrade my sound system now so it sounds a little better I have the subwoofer picked out it's already in an enclosure I've got my amp picked out it's a mtx jackhammer 4 channel 500 watt, and I'm going to upgrade the speakers in the sound bar, now here's the thing, I don't have a soft top and I do not want my hard top on at all because it's summer it's hot and I don't have A/C at all so do you guys ever worry about people stealing your subs or amp? Do your subs work decent even with no top?

I'm always fairly worried about my stereo being stolen, even with the hard top on. Right now, I've got Infinity speakers in the sound bar, an Alpine head unit, Kenwood amp and 2 10" Alpine Type R subs firing into the back gate. The sealed box I have the subs in fits very snugly behind the rear seat, and it's at an angle to match the back seat. The back gate has to be open in order to take the subs out, and I have my amp bolted to a piece of wood under the rear seat. You can definitely tell a sound difference between all three configurations (hard top, soft top, topless) but if your equipment is good enough it won't really matter much. My stereo sounds great regardless, you just have to adjust the equalizer settings accordingly.

Nope, never worry about my amp and sub being stolen, and the top's off all summer (now the head unit is a different story).

I mounted my Alpine PDX amp under the dash using the Skinny Pedal amp bracket

6037d1285865027t-skinny-pedal-jeep-tj-amp-bracket-amp-mount-jeep-wrangler-tj.jpg

and I mounted my sub inside of the rear seat

1240d1208832382t-subwoofer-inside-jeep-wrangler-rear-seat-jeep_subwoofer.jpg

1241d1208832394t-subwoofer-inside-jeep-wrangler-rear-seat-jeep_wrangler_subwoofer.jpg

You'll notice that the sound is much better with a top on, even a soft top. When you go topless you'll just need more power.

Terry I seen your write up, I am definatley not that handy haha otherwise I would totally go for it, I'm really new to the car audio world, but I know what sounds good and the set up I have planned out I have a feeling is going to sound amazing, the enclosure I was looking at is ported already has the sub it's an energy 12" sub just a single this thing thumps impressively but not over kill, I want it hooked up to a jackhammer jh202 amp it's a 4 channel I'm going to have 2 channels bridged right to the sub then the other two channels I was thinking to the sound bar where I'm thinking about putting a set of 5.25 energy speakers (energys stuff sounds amazing) will the 5.25 fit in a stock 1994 jeep yj soundbar? Amp will be under the back seat and sub right behind it, I don't want any vibrations, what would you guys reccomened for that? I want good clear bass but I'm on a big budget, all help appreciated!

I am concerned about people stealing my stuff whether it out of my CJ, Honda Pilot or even my house. The key is having a stealth and secure install. I originally was going with the route of installing my amps under the rear seat, but got kind of frustrated with the install so I scrapped that idea. I now have a new plan which I am comfortable with. The amps wil be installed in my Tuffy center console. :shock: SAY WHAT? There is no way you will fit two amps in your center console (that's probably what your thinking right now). Check this out.
I have purchased a Rockford Fosgate PBR300.1 amp for the sub and have a Rockford Fosgate PBR300.4 amp on order. These things are tiny, but pack a punch. Check out RF's website. You can feel safe with these because they can be installed in places you couldn't dream of installing regular size amps. Each amp is approx 200 bones (I got the 1 channel amp off Ebay for $140 brand new) and if for some reason they do get lifted by somebody, its not that big of a blow to your pocket book.
As for the sub placement, I wil be installing a 1 ohm shallow mount RF sub in a down firing box behind the rear seat (bolted down). Since the sub box will be shallow, I am going to construct a tool box that will sit on top of the sub box which will also be bolted down. This will hold my jumper cables, lug wrench, misc tools, etc. Thus making it very difficult to get to my sub(s) being they are bolted down along with another metal box bolts down on top of the sub box.
So overall, I will probably feel safer with the equipment installed in the CJ than in my Honda Pilot or my house. Take your time to think about security and keep things out of eye sight. Also, never bump your system to attract attention because Mr Sticky Fingers will follow you home and at least try to rip your goodies off......Good luck with the install and keep us posted......

yeah, and what's your address, and what times do you leave the jeep unattended? :rolleyes:

Back