help my charging system

spymonkey360

I have a 94 yj, 4.0 with a charging problem. I can't find a short in the system and have a new altinator and battery. The computer is spitting two codes. Short in charging circuit and air temp sensor voltage too high.is it possable that the sensor could short out the charging circuit?

Last edited:

Maybe, but I added an external regulator for an '82ish Dodge to cure mine. It could be a bad/loose/corroded ground wire too.

so i have a good ground x6, i have swapped the plugs on the altinator, new altinator and even replaced the air intake sensor all with no luck. the battery is putting out 12.55 volts and the altinator is reading the same. with the harness unplugged from the altinator and the jeep running its putting out around 7 volts. to me that isnt right but the altinator test good. im beginning to wonder if the computer could have gone bad in the charging field.

your alternator should be putting out 13.8 or slightly more. I'm not familiar with that specific system as to how the regulator works but without the regulator in place you typically get over 15 volts or zero volts depending on the setup, with some systems throwing values in between. Now the first thing I would look at here, knowing that some jeeps have the regulator in the PCM (computer) is that sensor error. I posted a how to on repairing the most common PCM issues that I would check out before going further.

(aware this is an old post but replied to for the sake of others reading it)

Back