2009 4 door wrangler sub issue.

tball39

I want to install some new subs in my 09 wrangler but not sure what route to take. I already have 2 12" subs that I had in my old vehicle. I was thinking about using one of those and getting a new amp. Not sure where I would put it but it is an option.

The second option is to buy an all new amp and sub that will be a custom fit for the car.

Any thoughts. Where would I put the subs?

Not sure about the 12"s, but I managed to cram two 10" Type Rs in the cargo area of my 02 Wrangler using a custom built sealed box firing toward the rear gate. Also, I mounted my amp and capacitor to a piece of plywood and put it under the rear seats. I know Terry also has a write-up on how to install your sub IN the back seat, depending on the depth of your speakers though this may not work, just an idea.

Last edited:
I was thinking mounting one 12 in the cargo area with a custom box facing toward the cab. The only problem is I can't mount anything under the rear seats. When folded down they collapse all the way to the floor. I'm also worried about someone ripping it out and taking it. Any suggestions?

Depending on how the box is built, if you choose to fit it behind the back seat, I don't think anyone could pull the sub out unless they also had the back gate open. The distance from the tailgate to the top of the back seat is much smaller than the distance from the tailgate to the bottom of the back seat. The box I have fits this space well enough (larger base, smaller top) so that you can't remove the box without the tailgate open or the back seat folded forward (which won't fold forward unless the box is removed), so if the back gate is locked, even if you are running topless, you should be fine.
If you are unable to fit the amp under the rear seat, again depending on the size of your amp, you could look into something like this. I have also seen people mount the amp to their sub box.

Back