81 CJ Duraspark wiring

bstd_cj7

My jeep has been yard art for the last 5 years. Trying to get it going I am redoing the wiring. Lots of lamp cord and duct tape used to "fix" problems in the past. It is a mess. Pulling out the wiring and putting in a Painless 22 circuit system. I have a wiring diagram and the diagrams in the Painless book. None indicate the gooey box that is under the right front headlight. I see the ignition module with the 2 plugs (2 and 4 wires respectivly) but this is a different box. It has about 10 wires going in to it. What is it and can I just chuck it with a new wiring set up?
Thanks

Welcome to Jeepz.com . I appreciate anyone resurrecting a CJ . Hope to someday soon myself. I took a look in a 1980 tech service manual supplement ( reprint ) and cannot find this ten wire box you referenced . Can you possibly post a picture ? I'm sure it will be recognized by one of us in our forum . So many Jeepz members have done resto's and own 'em that I'm certain the part will be identified . Thanks for your membership and I'm also certain your in the right place :agree:

Here are some pix. The first is the module. Most of the glue or whatever is dripping out of it. The next shows how it connects to wiring harness. The third is a close up of the connector and the last (Just it case it is important) is the alternator in case it is related to that.

Attachments

• 100_1615.JPG
    100_1615.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 32
  • 100_1616.JPG
    100_1616.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 31
  • 100_1620.JPG
    100_1620.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • 100_1619.JPG
    100_1619.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
Thanks for the pictures . Since this CJ is a 1981 pre-ecm vehicle , I'm taking this box for an electronic control module. What say all ? This just throws more work for the guy doing the resto . Now it will have to be decided if the rewiring will include the ecm or just a non- electronic carburetor and standard duraspark distributor. Guess what the popular vote will be ? It will all be up to the state smog laws or how to wrangle your way out of that if it comes to that.
p.s.- the alternator is the standard DELCO w/ integral voltage regulator found on millions of GM vehicles and jeeps from the '70's thru '80's as well as many other applications before the CS was made. Was very popular and once inexpensive. Think I paid $40 for one for a '78 jeep cherokee once. The wiring for it would be similar to earlier jeeps.

Last edited:

I'd say chunk that ignition module and replace your distributor with an HEI unit. It's simpler and reliable. The wirings for the electronic ignition has no relevance to the alternator/ generator or anything to do with the charging system , if your trying to clean up the mess under the hood, HEI will do just that. 3 wires to the distributor and your done.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz

This is in Tennessee. We don't even have state inspections. The distributor is a regular old points distro and the carb is the standard OEM everything mechanical (choke and all) single throat. I was thinking that this might be ECM but there is nothing to control except perhaps the advance. Another thing I thought it might be is a dealer added or perhaps aftermarket security box? Prevent hotwiring? Unless someone has a good reason not to (and I am absolutely open to those opinions with more experience) I am going to scrap it and wire without it.

I agree with the others. I would get rid of the module.
You can replace the regulator inside he alternator for about $10.00, if it doesn't charge well.
You have a lot of corrosion everywhere.
I bet it will have the hiccups for a while..
Good luck, that's a great project.

Strongly agree with SteelHeadz . The HEI unit will be complementary to the painless kit providing it has a direct 12v feed from the ignition switch. As much as I USED to enjoy setting points , that distributor has got to be placed on ebay for someone who's doing a purist resto . Certain you want a reliable jeep , wouldn't even bother with a Pertronix upgrade. Wiring WILL be simplified too. No clutter of ignition control module , electronic control module ( thanks to Tennessee emissions laws ) and the charging system wiring will be clean too. If the carburetor works ok and the engine can pull strong vacuum through it , will be ok for now but you may want to see what's available . Will need to know which engine . Points distributor did not come in 1981 , the duraspark unit could not have been used with it. Will need to know what engine you got so,we can advise what's next if need be. Like what HEI distributor for example. You can compare the current distributor shaft to HEI units at a salvage yard for match up. Not sure but I think the six cylinder GM HEI will fit the 258 and eight cylinder HEI the 304 & 360 ? Don't worry , forum members have been there , done that so not a problem. HEI is GM so should be right.

Last edited:
Hi all, first post and doing it to a old thread. I have basically the same question here as the previous. I have an old Duraspark module that is hooked in but the PO had already put in a MSD unilite dizzy and coil. What is the purpose of this module still being hooked up?

Back