Engine Cuts Out/ Misfires

Jeffjeep1997

I own a 1997 TJ 2.5L and am having problems with what seems to be all cylinders misfiring once the engine is hot. When sitting at an idle (even hot) it seems to be running normal. my morning commute is about 12 miles and unless there is heavier than normal traffic I can get to work without incident. My check engine light goes on when misfires occur and I have been told its the same code its been into my mechanic in the past.

In September it was in for same reasons. I had it at 2 different mechanics to try and solve. First said it was a crank sensor code and I had it replaced and drove home. Did not solve. I took it back and then he found when you move the wire harness at firewall it would stall the motor but wanted too much to fix so I went to another place. Im new to area so I am shopping for a good mechanic. At first the new place pulled a P0351 coil circuit fault code as well as a vacuum leak and I had these items replaced to clear code. Made it to the driveway and the car died so back it went in. This time it showed a crank sensor code so they replaced the crank and cam sensors. They did discover a short (the same one I showed them at the firewall the first time) and fixed the short. It drove great up until 2 weeks ago and now its having the problems as described above. Just about identical as before.

Oh, and the second place has mentioned the has found a slight leak at the throttle body during a smoke test.

a vac leak can cause stalling when you let off the gas or stop. check that the repaired short did not come back and I would tape about the first 6" or so of the harness coming out of the firewall just for support. I have seen two wrangler with the same short issue as yours.

All cylinders is odd. What spark plugs? Make and model of plugs?
Verify firing order and wiring.
Was the sensor replacement with OEM or aftermarket? It makes a big difference.

Last edited:
Back